• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

shorjai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
hi guyz as u know i got the tank yesterdai so i decided to put LIVE sand before adding coral.... so anyone has LIVE sand for sale for my 12g nano let me know.. thank you... for my 12g nano i think i need maybe 10LB

shorjai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Just go buy new, that would be the best. Using old live sand from some elses tank can bring nothing but trouble.
oh FOR REAL... THANK you for the telling me.... but if i put live sand inside rite now will it mess up my tank cycle??? cuz the tank has been running wif out live sand for a yr by now...

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
It will probably go through a small cycle. But since it was broken down and transported to your house and then re-set up again it is probably going through a cycle again anyway (a small one at least). I like Natures ocean live sand, that's my pref.

There is no livestock in the tank now?

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
i have esv sand its white (wont stay that way long) and its a mix of fine and course.but as chief mentioned using it out right can be trouble.if you want this sand lmk,it will need a very good washing in hot water.pm me if you like.thnx.D

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
use new sand, and add a cup or two every week. it shouldn't take long to get all 10lbs in there.

oops! forgot so say...make sure you use one of the various methods for keeping sand from blowing around your tank. For example. Rinse sand VERY well, pack tightly in container, cover container with saran wrap, turn off all flow and give tank time to settle, lower container to bottom of tank, slowly remove saran wrap, SLOWLY remove arm and container from tank.

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I would say since there is no livestock in there, buy a bag of live sand and add it no big deal, it may just extend your cycle a little bit. Let me tell you, my 12g aquapod cycled in a week and a half because I used live sand and cured rock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: