dottyback

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see a thread about the Lyretail Dottyback soooo heeeerrrreeee it gooooeeessss. I will most definitely welcome feedback even if it's only to say I'm *&^%^ crazy so let it rip. He-he Ha-ha I've started something but I don't know what my next step will be or should be. I traded a Splendid Dottyback and a Green Brittlestar in when I saw someone brought back a female Lyretail. I really loved that Brittlestar, I had him since he was a baby and when we parted he was huge, but my true love is the Pseudochromis steenei. Anypoo I didn't want him to be abused so I let him go. The female Lyretail I call Morticia. :) I read in Scott W. Michael book Basslets, Dottybacks & Hawkfishes that Lyretails can be kept in pairs. Okay it was the story about divers and it was talking about in the wild but I thought what the heck. Sooooo, as of Tuesday morning (9:30am to be exact) I am now the proud owner of both a male ( I named Gomez of course) & a female. My plan is to look for a larger tank at the MACNA XVIII but for now they are housed in a Eclipse 30+ gallons that I converted to a saltwater tank around 10 years ago. I divided the tank in half with a 21" x 11" piece of plexiglas w/ holes drilled thru-out to allow water flow. What I didn't expect was Gomez to be a juvenile, and the plexiglas was cut 1/4" shy. Well, it didn't take Gomez very long - at all- to start exploring Morticia's side of the reef, but it also only took a fraction of that time for him to find his way back. I was concerned but not any more because nature dictated my last step. I guess even in fishy land boys will be boys and girls will be girls. Gomez's boy curiosity and persistence kept him on Morticias side of the tank after only 2 full days. And Morticia must of fallen for his dashing good looks & charm because she stopped chasing him away, and even found a back door to Gomez's side of the reef. Thursday evening I removed the plexiglas and all has been great. Gomez being a juvenile has worked out wonderfully not just because of the size tank I have but also because (and I'm only guessing) he's only 1/2 Morticia's size. Hell, I really thought that was going to be a long & drawn out process. Soooo, now I'm thinking, WHAT NOW? :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: