pomacanthus

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an indusry vetran I have always used Magnetek magnetic ballasts as a rule and have never had one leak or go bad to date. Im reading about how wonderful these new electronic ballast are as they are more energy efficient and quieter. Funny thing is my Magnetek ballast do not buzz humm or make any noise at all. I did buy a couple Ice Cap ballasts at one time and found they are horribly overrated IMHO because both of them ceased working within 3 years - so hence my skeptisim towards electonic anything.

Question is this: Is saving a few bucks on your electric bill work the risk of having your overpriced ballast fail a couple months after the warrenty expires? I tend to have old school thinking and I am inclined to stick with what has worked in the past but dont what to make a big mistake as Im getting ready to spend a bunch of money on lighting. Any feedback appreciated Im new to this group.

Thanks Pomacanthus

bblundell

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can one get magnetek ballasts? I'm interested in one to operate a 250 metal halide setup. Do they have dual ballasts?
Thanks, Bill

ChrisV

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a magnetic ballast, and agree that my icecap makes more noise than the pfo magnetic type. If you ever took a look at the wire inside a magnetic ballast its easy to see why they last longer compared to the tiny wires, and components of a circuit board. Ofcourse if you really care to save on your electric bill you may choose the circuit type...

-CV

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: