• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My tank is still "dry" so have the ability to mod those back baffles. Ryan just pointed out that the first section is the actual detritus trap and now that i've looked closer, i think he's rite.

water flows in thru vents at top and mid. water flows overflows into the second section where my skimmer will be. so it looks like crap will indeed be trapped in the lower half of the first section.

if i cut away a portion of the bottom of the first baffle, it will probably eliminate the overflow and result in too much flow through the bottom.

any suggestions that have worked for others?

chase

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
all i did was in the first section, grabbed a pair of pliers and pulled it out. its only held in by thin silicone layer. pops right out. i also wanted to increase flow so where the wate over flows into the first to second section, i cut it out lower so it flows faster. the second section i also pulled out the bottom to increase flow. i took out all the bio balls since they are grabage, put a chemi-pure in it, and hung a coralife skimmer on the back with the pump in the middle section. the last section i upgraded the pump to a maxi jet and but the oceanic bio cube UV sterlizer in it.

if you want they sell media racks too for bio cubes...

watch these videos...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lMfaYMidV4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rpr4asbIL8&feature=related

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
thanks

tx for the links. they were good to see.

looks like my prior owner took out the false bottom in chamber 1 and lowered the first divider to increase flow.

i've got a saphire skimmer for chamber 2. if it doesnt work so well, i may just convert to some sort of media tray. and that underwater fuge light seemed pretty intriguing.

but what about the bottom half of chamber 1? wont crap just accumulate down there? seems like wasted space. i guess when doing water changes i can stick a hose on the end of a spare powerhead and use it to vacuum out that chamber.

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
all i did was in the first section, grabbed a pair of pliers and pulled it out. its only held in by thin silicone layer. pops right out. i also wanted to increase flow so where the wate over flows into the first to second section, i cut it out lower so it flows faster. the second section i also pulled out the bottom to increase flow.

+1 on this stuff. I made the 2nd chamber a fuge and scraped the paint off the back of the tank to shine a light into the chamber to grow chaeto.

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
nice great alteration's guys i also took out my bio balls useless for a nano and put in my sapphire aquatics skimmer in the middle chamber runnin a hangon back fuge with chateo and tank seems to be doin well

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: