A

Anonymous

Golfish, really? you serious? I can take my balls out and not worry about anything?? I've got 120lbs LR, 100lbs LS, 100g tank. No bio-balls?

A

Anonymous

Yeah, that is what the live rock is for. If yours is pacific live rock, that will be enough. If it is limestone-derived aquacultured rock, you may need more depending on your bio-load.

If you are concerned, remove say 25% each week and test the ammonia. Not only should it work, but it might work BETTER in that there is some evidence that nitrites are reduced directly to nitrogen gas in the live rock, bypassing the nitrate step.

A

Anonymous

Nymph,

You may have some legal problems to worry about if you take your balls out in public....rim shot....,but seriously folks......I took my bio-balls out all in one day and had no ill effects with any of my readings. As long as you have a good amount of LR and a skimmer running, there should be no problem. I have heard that it is better to do it slowly, but I am somewhat impatient. Plus, it is not fun to handle those dirty balls.

Krausser,

P.S. The humor above does not constitute comedy and should not be laughed or smiled at.

------------------
"....there's nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...."

A

Anonymous

nymph,

Yep, you have no need for the bioballs. There is more than enough surface area on your live rock for the bacteria to grow and live on. I have a tank that is a little larger than yours, with a little more live rock and it has never had any bioballs in it except for one that is on the overflow stand pipe to stop snails going down into the sump. Bioballs are only really good for fish only systems when you don't want to have any rock, or minimal rock, in the display tank. With a reef tank it is just not required.

Hope this is of some assistance.

------------------
DBW
OZ REEF Marine Park
<A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>

A

Anonymous

Hi Gloria,
sorry to hear about your problem, dont trust anyone at the LFS's.....YES take out your balls.
smile.gif

Mark

------------------
see my tank at
members.xoom.com/golfish1/reef.htm

A

Anonymous

Are we becoming a ball-less society? heheheheehehh! Yes, off with the balls! By the way, 1/4 of a full tank of live rock will do the exact same amount of filtering as a wet/dry. And the rest of the rock will be seeded by the live rock eventually, though it sounds like you have way plenty of live rock!!!! DOWN WITH BALLS!

A

Anonymous

Well thanks everyone for the encouragement, and I would like to inform you all,... I am now ball-less. Wow, I really noticed a difference with skimmer's performance, thing just kept oozing. And my Sun Coral just opened wide up. Wow, looks like my balls were a hinderence to the circle of life. Little did I know this was all possible with out balls.
smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: