• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My post didn't intend to say that you posted under a fake name. Chucker obviously interpreted my post that way, but that's not what I said.

I just get tired of the same ol' same ol'. We've been here before. Why not post a thread in the Sump dedicated to copycat skimmer designs and get it all out of your system, instead of posting the same thing every time a thread involving Myreef or Canreef comes up? It'd make the board much more enjoyable for everyone...

It's not going to change anything posting like this. Andy will still make and sell his skimmers. If nothing else these kinds of inflammatory posts will push people toward Andy's or Titus' product and away from PM's product.

old aquarist

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just find it amusing that Myreef is cloning other peoples equipment.. building skills/quality aside, it's simply a poor practice imo.

and the fact that james helped design the bullet skimmers should give him the right to point out that the idea is stolen..

percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes not exactly cloning.. because he does actually come up with some good modifications to design and all... but anyways... nobody flame or anything, I want to see more pics!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build a better product and sell it at a better price,, hmmmmmmm sounds as Baseball, apple pie and chevrolet as it gets to me.

The secret to success is NOT to re-invent the wheel, just make it beter. More affordable is better.

Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok measure every aspect of the PM's skimmers and compare that to myreefs....are they IDENTICAL???!!! I DOUBT IT!!! then that is not cloning...that is looking at a product and making something that is unique and works!!

look at many peoples diy stands, canopys, lights...etc....so wouldn't that be cloning? I THINK NOT!! just because someone has something that looks like someones elses doesn't mean that it is the same.

maybe myreef should have put the injector on the backside....then it LOOK the same...the people wouldn't *****!!

come on give the guy a break obvoiusly he has put a lot of time, effort, money, and talent into his products....let congradulate him and thank him for utilizing his talents to help others. this bitching is helping NO ONE!!

myreef my hat is off to you! keep up the good work and if people don't like it F%CK THEM!!

later
Lunchbucket

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened? the last time I posted everything was fine.. I came back to learn more about skimmers, which I haven't been able to find books on. Come on, talk about the plusses some more
icon_smile.gif
. This could be a wonderful info source, so people like me (and myself) will know why we are/I am buying one when we/I do (instead of buying the one the LFS recommends that explodes and sets the canopy on fire!).

reefer madness1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to know more,I suggest you e-mail Andy,he should be able to help. Dont bring up his skimmers on here anymore,james panties are already in too tight a wad.

JeffH

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this petty bickering actually help anyone find more productive information??? Especially those of us that are new to the hobby and may need the quality info that can sometimes be found.
icon_sad.gif

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was a little inappropriate for JamesW (whom I've mostly had respect for) to diss or knock Myreef's skimmer.

In this market we've got GEO making his own reactors, Canada Reef doing the same as well as Myreef, and probably other independents who are competing with one another and against the bigger more commercial giants.

I think competition is good because without it monopolisation stifles creativity and leads to price gouging. If Myreef can come up with some improvements to the PM unit, then GOOD FOR HIM! Those who buy the Myreef skimmer won't be upset!

FORD, GM, HONDA, HYUNDAI, VW, MERCEDES... they all make cars but some are better than others and the fact that Microsoft or AOL doesn't own them all (yet) means that the competition gives us price breaks and added features.

Let's encourage Myreef instead of picking at his creation in order to diminish his pride.

-Nathan

icon_smile.gif

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Nathan ]

sawcjack00

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the arguments presented here, I have decided to return my new skimmer to Andy, because I don't want P.M. to lose business due to competition. That wouldn't be right
icon_wink.gif
Gimme a frickin' break people. THIS IS AMERICA. Get a patent, or suffer the consequences. The Myreef Creations protein skimmer is a great product at a good price with unsurpassed customer service. If people didn't make improvements and changes on designs, then technology would never advance. There would be one type of car, one type of truck, one type of house, one type of computer... competition is good, it brings about improvement. Besides, Andy's a nice guy
icon_smile.gif

tetra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know who MyReef is or have I ever order from him, I did get a couple quotes from him though . All I know is that I don't think he is in it for the money. If I can build something cheaper and better like him to help out my fellow reefers, I would. How much can you really make at the price MYREEF is charging? I think he is only doing it because he likes building things and helping us save a few bucks here and there. I mean, really, does it really cost $300 to manufacture a Ca. Reactor? or $200+ for a skimmer? If I am ever in the market a skimmer or ca. reactor, I would go to MyReef. If he or someone else can DIY MH, PC, or VHO for cheap and safe, I would buy from them too...hehehe...I think we just pay higher prices for our equipments because it is a hobby. So I would not have a problem buying from someone like MYREEF, but that is just my humble opinion on the matter.

Shoots

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know MyReef and really very little details on this subject, but I do know I will drive a little further, pay a little more or do without if I don't feel comfortable in how things were done.

npaden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really amazing at how similar the Precision Marine skimmers are to the ETS Downdraft skimmers. Basically the only difference between them is that the PM uses becket injectors.

Really folks, there are only so many ways to make a skimmer.

FWIW, Nathan

shadetree

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudo's to PM for their quality product, to Myreef and Canreef for possibly improving it and selling it at a lower cost and to old aquarist for clearing up james comments for us <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
and the fact that James helped design the bullet skimmers should give him the right to point out that the idea is stolen..
I guess we should thank James for his initial input on the original design also
icon_smile.gif

Scott

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: shadetree ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: