• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

viperstang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
hi guys, I need help. My tank is a 75 gallon reef. my tank has been running for the past three years. I need help because i cant seem to keep my calcium up. I have check my alk and at the time it was low. I have brought it back within range, but my coraline and corals are not doing well. I was wondering if there is someone in brooklyn that could test my water and maybe set me on the right path. or should i just do a massive water change?

viperstang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Xenia, Duncan, colt all look bad. It's been this way for about two weeks. First notice my kh was low. Been dozing to bring it back up... Thinking calcium would raise at the same time. My Coraline has been slowly dwindling away

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Water change will help to replenish trace elements.
Xenia melting away might indicate low iodine level..
Xenia is like a sponge for iodine. Just sucks it up.

What type of lighting, and how old are the bulbs?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justine has a good thought of the Mg++ being low. However, how are you dozing your Ca++ and Alk EXACTLY.

Been dozing to bring it back up... Thinking calcium would raise at the same time.

That sounds to me like you are adding a Alk sup and not a Calcium sup.

Xenia, Duncan, colt all look bad

How good is the water circulation around them. I do not buy at all into the Xenia Iodine theory as many people grow them like weeds with no Iodine sup'ing. It is usually a to low of a current "thing". Most reef tanks actually have excessive Iodine in them. More than likely the iodine thing is you are pissing them off, causing them to pulsate more, pull in more water and food which they were not getting due to poor circulation.

viperstang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I never like the idea of dozing, that's why I was doing a weekly water change.....I started dozing when I found out that the weekly water change wasn't enough to keep my parameters in check...I have been dozing esv two part system.

viperstang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Question: how many guys up here use city water to do their water changes? ( no R/O)
I am using R/O and starting to wonder if thats where my problem is comming from. was told i need to use R/O safe whan making up water.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: