biotech_chris

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, moving the tank in the next few days. It's a 50 gallon glass, 48X15X15 roughly. Thinking about tossing it and going acrylic.

The first question is; it's an older tank. It's got at least 10 years with me as a reef, and must be at least 10 years older than that. Aside from some cosmetic scratches, it's in good shape, no cracked edges etc. How long can I expect this one to last? Has anyone had a glass tank survive an earthquake?

The second question is; if I get an acrylic tank, what sort of drill bits have folks had sucess with in cutting for bulkheads? And, can you cut into any acrylic tank, or does it need to be a specific type?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Chris.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass tanks can last for a long time as long as the silicone is ok.
Actually, they can probably last 10,000 years or so.

But if you're looking to replace it because it's scratched, then acrylic is easy to drill. If you're having someone else build it then they could drill the bulkheads for you. Either way acrylic is easier to drill than glass.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the other hand, if you're looking to replace a tank because of scratches... acrlyic scratches MUUUUCH easier and more often than glass.

b

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: