pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Euro-Reef ES5-2. I am putting a gate valve mod on it and I am turning it into a recirculating skimmer.

I am debating if a larger pump which pulls in more air and has a higher turn over rate would make this skimmer perform better.

So instead of a Sedra 3500 (which is the current pump that runs the skimmer), I would put in a larger Sedra 5000 or a 9000.

What do you think?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, since you're going recirc, you don't need a larger pump. I'm afraid a larger pump would flood your collection cup. More air = more volume that goes up and over into the cup. On my recirculating deltec, I've run into situations where the amount of air it draws in is simply too much. Of course, you can always use a valve on the air intake, but make sure your skimmer's outlet can handle the increased flow. Sedra 5000 might work. Sedra 9000 will probably flood regardless of how you adjust the valves.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I spoke with Euroreef a year ago about increasing my pump from a Sedra 3500 to a 5000 on my ES5-3 they said it would make no difference and probably end up decreasing performance.

I am not thinking of getting a stronger skimmer but not sure.

FB

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty new at this, but from what I have read a longer contact time between water and air is preferred. So wouldn't you want a smaller pump?

pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FB":2rd2bu6h said:
I'm pretty new at this, but from what I have read a longer contact time between water and air is preferred. So wouldn't you want a smaller pump?

You are right.

A regular nonrecirculating skimmer will put water out as fast as the pump will pump it, but a reciculating skimmer will put out as much water as you feed it.

So the idea is to pass a smaller amount of water into the recirculating skimmer and extract as much water out of it as possible. So you can put in 1 gallon per hour if you wanted to and have really long contact time.

So with that, I said, well more bubbles, more chances of extracting proteins, because bubbles are what the proteins adhear to. Thats why I wanted a stronger pump, to produce more bubbles and extract more proteins.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your thinking I would move up to the sedra 5000.

I agree with Len that the 9000 might be overkill for the smaller skimmer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: