A

Anonymous

After using PCs for several years, I finally splurged for MHs. I bought a dual PFO 175 watt with german10K bulbs.
One bulb keeps trying to fire, but won't fully fire. the other comes right on. Ive swithced the bulbs, and the one still will not fire. This bulb has misfired more than 20 times, still no luck. Any suggestions.
thanks Jack

A

Anonymous

Jack,

You might try leaving the ballast turned on (if you're not already), some new bulbs go througha burn in period where they go on, then immediately go off. If you leave everything on, they eventually (can take up to 10 minutes) come back on.

Kevin

A

Anonymous

i had similar problem i tried everything.
best one to work,i soakedthe bulb in hot water for few minutes (leaving the metal part out of course)then fast take it dry it then screw it in place and fire wright away.
turned on like a charm.

A

Anonymous

MH need to be cool before it fire-up. If you turn the bulb on even for a short time then off, you cannot re-ignited it until it cool down. Just thought I point this out since you are new at MH lighting.

------------------
Minh Nguyen
Visit my reef at:
http://sites.netscape.net/austinnguyen/homepage

A

Anonymous

The first time I fired up my dual PFO kit I was bummed. One of the ballasts wouldn't fire. I did the off and on thing like you, to no avail. I gave up and left the thing on and walked away. I got on the computer and after about 10 minutes went back into the room to find the fully fired bulb in all its glory. I think the first fire is the hardest for both the bulb and the ballast. If one of the sides works, light both bulbs on it first. Then hook one of them up to the other side and leave it on. I recommend leaving the room (the whole kettle watching thing). Good luck!
I would disagree with Minh, I have never had problems re-firing warm/hot bulbs. I actually did this to make sure there was no problems with ballast or bulbs. Where did the cold fire information come from? If it is true why do mine and the ones at the LFS fire back up when warm?

A

Anonymous

DSB1829,

A lamp that is cool or one that was 'just' turned off will usually restrike fine. A hot one that has been turned off for more than a few seconds usually will not.

The reason is that a hot lamp requires a higher strike voltage than a cool lamp because of the nature of the vaporized halides floating around in a hot lamp. If the ballast ignitor and wiring is up to the task, it is possible restrike a hot lamp, but usually it will fail to light. This is not a problem, as the lamp will restrike once it cools down enough.

--- Ken

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your responses. It took several hours for the one bulb to fire. The next time i turned it on it fired up the 2nd try. Hopefully all will be fine now on.
Regards Jack.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: