A

Anonymous

There is a rumor going around the boards that the redesigned lamps, although "whiter" have a lower PAR. It si unclear whether the "lower PAR" is much lower, but part of the rumor seems to be that the DE 150 HQI now has more PAR than the 400. Have you heard this? To your knowledge, is it true?

rharker

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SteveNichols:
<strong>There is a rumor going around the boards that the redesigned lamps, although "whiter" have a lower PAR. It si unclear whether the "lower PAR" is much lower, but part of the rumor seems to be that the DE 150 HQI now has more PAR than the 400. Have you heard this? To your knowledge, is it true?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I recently replaced my old style 400 watt Iwasakis over the tank with the new ones and took some informal measurements. I got essentially the same intensity. I doubt they are any dimmer.

There's no way that the Iwasaki would produce less PAR than the 150. Unfortunately the numbers floating around compare the bare 400 watt Iwasaki to a 150 in a reflector. That's comparing apples to oranges. Without a reflector, the double ended 150 doesn't come close.

Richard Harker

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I kind of figured that. BTW, would you like to have my old lamps? Don't know if you plan on more testing or not.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would the apple to apple comparision be in your opinion?

how does PAR of the 400W vs the 150 W or in that manner how about the 250 DE HQI? How would that compare to the 400W?

rharker

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JDM":9q0d8wkp said:
What would the apple to apple comparision be in your opinion?

how does PAR of the 400W vs the 150 W or in that manner how about the 250 DE HQI? How would that compare to the 400W?

Ideally one needs to compare single ended and double ended bulbs without reflectors. That way we're looking at only the light generated by the bulb at a single point.

I haven't looked at the 250w, but the wattage of each of these bulbs is the best indication of light output at any given (actual) color temperature. In other words, a double ended 250w 10K is going to generate pretty much the same amount of light as a single ended 10K.

Richard Harker

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: