A

Anonymous

I just installed a new 6/50 RO/DI I bought on ebay.
icon_biggrin.gif
I've heard that new filters and/or membranes need to cycle for a while before the water is safe for reefs. The instructions say throw out the first tank before drinking. How many tanks would you guys toss before using in your reefs?

Thanks for your input!

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: Louey ]

Styk33

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discard the first 4 gallons of water after a membrane change. I do it for some reason, just don't remember why.

When I bought my unit new it did say to discard some of the water. No clue how much, but that might be why I toss 4 gallons of good water in the garden.

junkzoo

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the instructions on mine said 2-3 hours.there's usually a preservative on the membrane ,,,hence the "cycle" to remove and flush out same
icon_smile.gif

junkzoo

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, my ro/di from Natures Way recommends discarding the first 5 gallons or so,,,this is due to the "mildew(mold)inhibitors" in the membrane,(remember, it was shipped"damp")

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine said 2-3 hours to flush the preservatives. I doubled it because I am neurotic, and obsessed w/ my tank, not to mention this board.

BTW- where are the aquaFX/ReefPure guys when you need them!?
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: