clamcrazy

king of all clams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with coffee that is right in the ballpark, now i have a real small maxima that i got last december it was under 2 in. i have never bowl feed it and it is on the bottom of my tank and it is doing real good. i use dt's not even once a week so go figure.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My baby clam is not even 1 1/2 inches and he followed the sunlight as it hit my tank from different sides. He was like a little sun dial :) I finally moved him to a place where he gets direct sunlight for about 4 hours a day, and he stopped moving around.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
My baby clam is not even 1 1/2 inches and he followed the sunlight as it hit my tank from different sides. He was like a little sun dial :) I finally moved him to a place where he gets direct sunlight for about 4 hours a day, and he stopped moving around.
Even though the small clam respond to the light, I would still feed him.

I remember telling a mod, who has a very mature tank, to feed his clam under 2 inches brought from a house vendor assuming that light alone will be OK. The clam die before he even have a chance to feed him. So why chance it? There is a chance when a tank is too clean.

I would say 3 inches is much safer to use mainly light as the energy source. Some feeding is still a must no matter what size a clam is (just like Solby said in the other thread about N source of clams) that clam cannot make all amino acides with light alone!

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
All,

We should let Barry chime in with his expertise, but it is my recollection, and we also might want to review the new Giant Clam book that came out, BUT clams begin the photosynthesis process very early on in thier life - around an inch or so where they can strive and live soley on the nutrients obtained from thier mantles and photosythesis.

If the question is when do clams become totally reliant on photosynthesis verses when they absolutley have to have phyto to live is what I'd be curious to see. I think you'll be surprised to find that clams are much more resilient than you think.

my .02

House

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Well, as Jim implied, it really might help if people invested in and opened a few books now and again. (This is a rant for another time, but one which has been on my mind so its coming folks:)

Well, I did it for you this time. The new Fatherree book on Giant Clams has pages upon pages of discussion on this subject ( supported by all the latest scientific data) and the conclusion is ( I'm summarizing a long and complex account here):
1) Tridacnid Clams of ALL sizes are fully capable of obtaining all the nutrients they need for survival AND growth from their zooxanthellate symbionts.
2) Additionally, they do filter feed both Phyto and Zoo plankton at times, but it s unclear what exactly they do with this additional nutrition. (very complex account I can't adequately summarize)
3) They do require additional nitrogen/phosphorus compounds for survival, but these are largely absorbed from the water column through the mantle and in a typical reef aquarium where you are feeding fish etc. this is more than enough. If you are keeping them in a separate system with no additional inputs of nitrogen etc. then you would need to provide some.
4) he soundly disputes the notion the clams of any size need direct feeding of any type and claims this idea to be based on older scientific studies that have been refuted by newer work.

FWIW, I have never directly fed a clam in my care anything.

Randy

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Well, as Jim implied, it really might help if people invested in and opened a few books now and again. (This is a rant for another time, but one which has been on my mind so its coming folks:)

Well, I did it for you this time. The new Fatherree book on Giant Clams has pages upon pages of discussion on this subject ( supported by all the latest scientific data) and the conclusion is ( I'm summarizing a long and complex account here):
1) Tridacnid Clams of ALL sizes are fully capable of obtaining all the nutrients they need for survival AND growth from their zooxanthellate symbionts.
2) Additionally, they do filter feed both Phyto and Zoo plankton at times, but it s unclear what exactly they do with this additional nutrition. (very complex account I can't adequately summarize)
3) They do require additional nitrogen/phosphorus compounds for survival, but these are largely absorbed from the water column through the mantle and in a typical reef aquarium where you are feeding fish etc. this is more than enough. If you are keeping them in a separate system with no additional inputs of nitrogen etc. then you would need to provide some.
4) he soundly disputes the notion the clams of any size need direct feeding of any type and claims this idea to be based on older scientific studies that have been refuted by newer work.

FWIW, I have never directly fed a clam in my care anything.

Randy

I agree to most of the ideas in his book but some I have doubts. It's point no.2 that defeats his point no. 1. For an animal with such a BIG pump built in, there must be a BIG reason for it to survive thru evolution.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Sorry this was just a topic to add to the advanced forum to bring about a good conversation and some learning. I remember dean suggesting this a while ago with the other clam topic I posted and felt it would be a great addition to the advanced forum.

MightyMike

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's point no.2 that defeats his point no. 1. For an animal with such a BIG pump built in, there must be a BIG reason for it to survive thru evolution.

Wingo,
i'm not sure I know what you mean here? Are you just saying that, if they can survive totally on nutrients taken in without the use of the pump, then why would they evolve (or not) into an animal that is mostly "pump"?

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
thanks for protecting the mods identity wingo :D

the clam in question was small but it was at a borderline size.
I believe that is was high No3 that killed the small clam, not lack of food.
I say this because at the time the two other larger clams were not looking that great either. once I got the crazy high No3 down to 0 the clams bounced back. I think the larger clams were able to survive a bit longer than the small one.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Wingo,
i'm not sure I know what you mean here? Are you just saying that, if they can survive totally on nutrients taken in without the use of the pump, then why would they evolve (or not) into an animal that is mostly "pump"?

Base on survival of the fittest, most of the animals should have some kind of features that is remained very important to thier survival. For example, we developed into having a large brain ratio because our survival rely a lot on the functions of our brain. For giant clams to have both large pumps and food filter (even for reasons that some studies do not understand YET), the giant clam must be relying thier survival on them.

Pratreef,

Agreed, the pumps are used for respiration as well. However, I incline to think they are mainly for food capture.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: