emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I bought 2 small(2 1/2 inches) croceas a month ago they both looked good after a few days one of them had one side of the mantel retracted the other one looked fine after a few days the ill looking one died and a few days after that the one that looked good died with no warning.
Since the death of these clams i added a phosban reactor with phosban media and another one with super activated carbon.Sunday I purchased 2 more croceas same size as before acclimated them and one of them is showing the same signs the mantel on one side is not opening all the way this happened after one day in the tank . The only thing I didn't do that I see I should have after spending a couple hours on this site ( clamsdirect)is acclimate for lighting I placed the clams in the center of the tank .
My tank is a 125 rr with a 40 gal sump with a refugium running calurpa, 3 150 watt 14000k HQI MH, 4 96 watt pc 2 dual actinic and 2 10000k (I usually only keep the atinics on) all the bulbs are a month old I have a aquac ev120 skimmer , 700 gph closed loop on sea swirls, 1000 gph return on sea swirl, mj 1200 moded supposed to give 2500 gph, 2 phosban reactors as mentioned above, korallin calcium reactor with ph controler running arm media, ground probe, 200 lbs live rock lps and sps, nothing close enough to sting clams , 3 cleaner shrimp, about 25 cerinth snails,about 100 turbo snails, about 30 red leg scarlet hermits, some blue leg hermits, maroon clown , percula clown, six line wrasse , pencil wrasse, 3 dispar anthias , 2 chromies , bicolor blenny,
the tank parameters are everything undetectable except nitrates sometimes get to 5, alk 10 dkh, calcium 420-450 I don't have a magnesium test kit but i have to get one
Please note thru all this I have a crocea clam 4 inches for about 4 months healthy and have had clams in this tank before but sold them cause i thought I was getting out of hobby. The tank is running 5 years and for the past 2 months I have been doing water changes religiously 25 gallons every 2 weeks. .Before that 30 gallons every month. I feed the tank DT's phyto. I spend most of my time sitting by the tank atleast 3 hours a day and never noticed anything pick at the clams I also look at night with a flashlight checked for pyramid snails the only thing at night that I saw was a couple spaggeti looking worms very thin retract when light hits them they are on one rock were the sick looking clam was ( same rock the first clam that died was on) but no worms near the other clam

Attachments

• IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 311

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I am getting water ready for a fresh water dip cause I don't want to waste any more time should be ready in another 10 minutes I hope the right person sees this and responds quick if its not the right thing to do . The above post is a copy of my post in the emergency section in clamsdirect.com I posted yesterday morning the only response I got was a welcome and an email soliciting business from me .

:mad:

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
i had fought pinch mantle for at least 7 months. had 5 out of 7 made it. now they are doing fine for over 3 months.
from the pic, i can't say for certain its pm. but thats only judging from 1 pic.

Jasonanatal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Emmanuel, I would definitely try posting your questions for Pinch Mantel in the http://www.clamsdirect.com Fourm. Not implying that Manhattan Reefs is not a place were information can be found and shared to assist you in resolving the Pinch Mantel of your Crocea Clam. I am just pointing out a website that the owner specializes in anything having to do with clams as well as extensive research encompassing the Pinch Mantel of Clams. Barry the site owner is usually pretty good as chiming in with his opinion and suggestions on how to resolve issues with Clams or to provide information on how to care for your clam. You know the old saying "When in Rome do like the Romans"!

Now for my questioning on this matter and hopefully I can assist with what is happening to your Crocea Clam. Now in my personal opinion and experience Freshwater Dips for clams may not entirely provide any type of assistance whatsoever. (Once again this is my opinion and I'm not preaching it as gospel.) The Freshwater dips are alittle trick that seems to have permeated all aspects of attempting to resolve a Marine Aquarium related problem especiall in the measures of curing Cryptocaryn or Ich as we have come to label this is common name. I would rather see you not stress the Crocea Clam any more then it is already since that will just accelerate the issue at hand and eventually lead to the lose of such a beautiful specimen.
  1. Have you ever at any time dosed your Aquarium with medication containing Copper? Purchase the Aquarium from anyone who had used Copper within it or you couldn't actually confirm that Coppoer was used on this Aquarium? Have you tested your water for any traces of Copper? This can definitely be the end of any Clams that you place in your Aquarium.
  2. What method of acclimation to your water parameters and lighting exposure did you use when adding your Crocea Clam? How close to the surface of the water and your lighting source is your Crocea Clam positioned within your aquarium? To reduce the amount of stress that your Crocea Clam is being exposed to move it to the sandbed of your Aquarium or at least as close to it as possible while still allowing it to receive light. Reducing your photo-period exposure time will also effectively help to accomplish this as well.
  3. Do you have any livestock whatsoever that could possibly pose a threat to your Crocea Clam?
  4. Last but definitely no least after about an hour of of lights out on your aquarium take a flashlight and lift your Crocea Clam up to investigate underneath where it's foot is. You may find that Pyramid Snail may be the culprit since their usually out on a feast during night.
Now once again I pesonally do not consider myself an expert but I do have experience with Clams since I believe they are one of the most beautiful specimens that you can keep within your aquarium. To show some results on my theory of minimizing the stress of your Clam to overcome your issue please read on. I had my Deresa Clam in a 10 gallon Aquarium setup for about 1 month which I just plopped him in while I setup my new and currentJBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI SPS Reef Aquarium. I exposed this little guy to 8 hours of 300 watt 14,000k Metal Halide Lighting which caused my Deresa Clam to show sign os Gapping, Pintched Mantel and half of it to Bleach. Within 1 months time of tender loving care and spot feeding on a day to day basis with Marine Snow, DT's Phytoplankton and Cyclopeeze here is what my Deresa Clam looks like today.

CanonDigitalRebelXTPhotographs056.jpg

CanonDigitalRebelXTPhotographs057.jpg

Last edited:

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
thats a nice looking clam
I never put copper in the tank and it was purchased new but i never tested for copper.
When the clam was purchased it looked good I floated the bag for 20 minutes to bring the temperature up to my tank's. Every 10-15 minutes I added a quarter cup of tank water to the bag ( I usually drip but had too many bags after the frag swap ) then I made the move I hate myself for I took the clam out of the water and placed it in my tank , this was done very quickly it couldnt have been out of the water more than a second I dont like to get water from others tanks in my tank.
I have checked at night with a flash light no sign of pyramid snails but I dint lift the clam cause its attached I dont whant to stress it more than I have to . I did lift the other small clam and checked for snails that one doesnt show any signs of pm but it has not attached itself.
The sick clam is about 8 inches from the bottom 10 inches from the top and the 150watt hqi bulbs are 6 inches from the water surface , when I first placed the clam in the tank I put it about 6 inches bellow the surface of the water.
I listed all my livestock in the first post forgot to mention the 2 cardinalfish but I spend manny hours a day in front of my tank and never saw anything nipping my clams.I havnt seen the clam yet today but will post a picture when I get home from work. You say you spot feed your clam I read on the clamdirect site you shouldnt do that because the gills are very delicate and can be torn I have done that on clams I had in the past but just let the DT's barely come out over the clam I never lost a clam and had them for a couple years till I sold them thinking I was getting out of this hobby imagine that what would I do with all the extra money and free time LOL

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
It is looking worse today :confused:

my other little clam looks greatbut then again about a month ago when this all happened with my other 2 clams it was the same story 1 looked great the other didnt and died first, the one that looked great died a few days later with no signs of being ill and I didnt have a phosban reactor back then.Please note I have a large crocea that is fine and its been in the tank a couple months

Jasonanatal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
You say you spot feed your clam I read on the clamdirect site you shouldnt do that because the gills are very delicate and can be torn

Emmanuel, let me clear up my definition of Spot Feeding for my Clams. I don't actually place the dropper right at the mouth of the Clam for that very reason stated. I place the dropper about 3 to 5 inches away to the side so that the current can deliver the food to the Clam. Sorry for the confusion in this. Other then what you have stated I can agree that the quick acclimation procedures could be the cause but definitely get in contact with Barry.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I hate myself for I took the clam out of the water and placed it in my tank , this was done very quickly it couldnt have been out of the water more than a second I dont like to get water from others tanks in my tank.

Don't hate yourself for taking the clam out of water. Many giant clams are always out of water for couple hours in the wild. The couple seconds out of water will not harm them.

In fact, a lot of the clams are VERY STRESSED in the swap, some of them even have slim on their mantle!

Oh, if you have time check [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+2]out JAMES W. FATHERREE's book on clams. It may give you some clues as how to help these little guys. His first hand experience with them in the wild and captivity will give you some insights into clam keeping.

Here is a pic of giant clam in the wild. Out of Water is a daily routine to this guy.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Attachments

• 13clam.jpg
    13clam.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: