Mike&Pam

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium on my 90 gal is very low--somewhere between 300 and 350. I've been adding seachem calcium advantage for about 2 weeks now and continued to use b-ionic until it ran out. The b-ionic is what I've been using since the tank was set up over three months ago. Now that the b-ionic ran out, I plan on just adding the seachem calcium powder and seachem reef builder (raises carbonates). I have no corals right now, just live rock and 3 fish. My question is, should I add more than the recommended dosage (twice a week)of the seachem calcium in order to raise the level? I know raising the calcium level is not something that happens over night, but can increasing the dosage cause any harm? I appreciate everyone's advice.

Mike

cubera

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Mike. You can add daily or even twice a day just make sure there are several (8-12) hours between 'doses'. Calcium will drop dKH and vice versa so be careful and go slow. Only bad things happen fast in reef tanks. HTH

jmeader

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the Seachem Advantage and Reef Builder. You can dose the recommended dosage twice a day if needed to bring up levels. Just be certain that you need to add that much before doing it. In other words if you add 2 tsp to a 50 gal tank and the cal only comes up 5ppm instead of 25ppm, start looking for another problem. I normally raise my cal by 25ppm per dose. With only LR and a few fish your cal level is far from critical. So you can take your time and not push it. I would be concerned about what brought your level down in the first place. It would also help to know your alk when dealing with cal. It is also good to know the level of your magnesium. All 3 are related and affect each other.

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, you have to be careful when adding the non-balanced supplements. Basically, if your Ca and Alk are out of whack with each other, (read this article if you have not), it is best to do water changes to get them back in line first.
http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1998/july/bio/default.asp

There is a good thread on raising Ca right now on RAMR: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&th=1d754c4f1f1f7f46,7&seekm=tmaunrh5kjbp1e%40corp.supernews.com#p
icon_smile.gif

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto to JMeaders

I think its time to invest into Alk & Mg test kits. I find the 3 very valuable in determining the cause and remedy of my tank's parameter. (Ca, Mg, & Alk)

Mike&Pam

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your fast replies. I have an alk test and it says it around 3.5. I guess I'll go ahead and increase the dosage of the seachem calcium. Magnesium is something I never really knew about, but will now take into consideration. I am waiting until I get this situation resolved to add my first corals. By the way, any suggestions on what ones are good for beginners? I have two 96watt power compacts. Thanks again.

Mike

BReefCase

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search on this thread: "Calling Chemical Experts... Please Help"

His problem was similar to yours, and the thread explains the relationship between Calcium, Magnesium, and Alk.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: