npaden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this as a reply to another thread, but I thought I might as well post it as a new thread as well.

Richard,

If you could wade through this thread I think it might give you some additional insight into the hobbyist claims on the burn position in regards to the nipple direction.

Here is the link to the thread on reefcentral: RC Nipple thread

I was disappointed to not see a graph for the 10K Ushio in a horizontal burn position as well. I would also like to see the test repeated if possible with the light intensity and color temp tested with the bulb in the horizontal position first with the nipple up and then again with the nipple down. The test would be from a bulb mounted identically except for the nipple orientation and could be done at a set distance below the bulb with intensity readings directly below the bulb and then readings a bit to each side. To offset burn in time possiblities, I think the test would be best if performed with relatively new bulbs and after they have run for a week or so of 8 hour on off cycles in each position. There could be a slight drop off in intensity simply due to burn time, but with just a few weeks this shouldn't be much of a factor.

Looking forward to more articles.

FWIW, Nathan

Iron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wonder why the manufacture makes an exhast if it didn't matter in MV bulbs but IME I can't tell with my eye but i don't have a camera to compare pics.There are to many pics outh there to disprove the theory

rharker

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by npaden:

I was disappointed to not see a graph for the 10K Ushio in a horizontal burn position as well. I would also like to see the test repeated if possible with the light intensity and color temp tested with the bulb in the horizontal position first with the nipple up and then again with the nipple down. [/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Nathan:

I did test the Ushio 10K in the horizontal burn, but I didn't bother to include the data because it was consistent with the other measurements. I found the horizontal measurements essentially interchangable whereas the vertical measurements varied by bulb. I think that's because the horizontal burn characteristics are a function of gravity whereas the vertical characteristics are a function of bulb design.

As to length of burn, strike, and other issues I tried to test every variable that might affect the results. The shape of the arc is a function of the bulb design and the laws of physics. The age of the bulb and other issues don't seem to have an impact.

Next step is to look at double ended bulbs. I'll be posting those results as soon as I can.

Richard Harker

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: