CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey guys,

Just set up a IM 25 lagoon about 3 months ago and added some SPS and now I'm trying to figure out a good lighting schedule for my radion xr30 gen 3.

My current set up is the coral lab SPS AB+ preset:

Total brightness (intensity): 35%
UV 100%
Blue 100%
Royal Blue 100%
White 25%
Green 25%
Red 25%

Main lighting period is from 10:30am to 9pm with two hour ramp up/down at beginning and end of day. Just wondering if the total 35% brightness is enough for this tank. The light is mounted on an RMS bracket which is about 9-10in from water.

It did take me all last month to get my water parameters in order. Had some alk swings unfortunately and think that might've stressed the corals a bit. Some are doing ok some are not. I have 2 mp10s for flow and water parameters are good now so just wondering if light intensity/schedule is ok

pH 8.0-8.2
Alk 10.5
Cal 440
Mag 1400
Pho 0.00 (Hanna)
Nitrates 0

Have all SPS and a RBTA. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
I have two pros over my 93 cube running a similar schedule but at 65%.
You can slowly raise the intensity up to around 50-65%. Just do it slowly and see how the sps react.
I would also increase the nitrates a little if you are going to be running the alk to 10.5.

Last edited:

CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have two pros over my 93 cube running a similar schedule but at 65%.
You can slowly raise the intensity up to around 50-65%. Just do it slowly and see how the sps react.
I would also increase the nitrates a little if you are going to be running the alk to 10.5.

Thanks for the feedback. I just checked and my phos and nitrates are both 0. I heard mixed things about how phos should be 0 or very low like 0.03 same with nitrates. I feed pretty heavy and only use protein skimmer, chemipure and 2g weekly water change for nutrient export. Question... what do nitrates and high alk have to do w/one another. is that because of the increased growth of corals and nutrient requirement? Thanks for the help.

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Not sure the exact reason behind it but when you keep the nitrates at 0 and alk high you end up getting some alk burn on the sps. I try to keep my around 7-8 which is the same as NSW but if what you are doing is working i wouldn't change just keep an eye on the sps and make sure you test you're alk alot.

CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Not sure the exact reason behind it but when you keep the nitrates at 0 and alk high you end up getting some alk burn on the sps. I try to keep my around 7-8 which is the same as NSW but if what you are doing is working i wouldn't change just keep an eye on the sps and make sure you test you're alk alot.

ahh I see. thanks for the clarification. i'm gonna try and bring it down to around 9 i think. still messing around w/the lights. tank is only about 3 months old so still getting everything dialed in

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: