johnw

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to get some input on lighting equipment for a new reef tank. I have a 48" x 22"D x 18"W (which I believe to be about 80USG) tank complete with a JBL CF light fixture (4 x 65W CF lamps, high efficiency reflector, electronic ballasts for a total of 260W). Lamps consist of 2-10000K and 2-65W combo 10K/actinic. CF fixture was selected because I am worried about the higher electricity cost of running MH fixtures at least while I'm getting started in this hobby. My plan to date has been to keep SPS corals, a few fish, inverterbrates using the berlin method which sounded feasible with the CF lamps which got me about 3W/G. I now have the opportunity of purchasing the livestock contents of a similar sized tank for considerably less than what it will cost to buy the livestock - the catch is several of the corals are LPS type (brain, fox, torch, & bubble). Two questions:
will the CF fixture do the trick for plan A - SPS corals only?
how about the listed LPS corals?

Any input is appreciated.

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PC lighting will be fine for the LPS corals, but I doubt you will see good coloration or growth with the SPS corals. They might survive, but in general will remain brown in color. (I know you didn't ask but... Do not attempt anemones or clams with that lighting!)

I'd say the LPS/soft corals will be fine, but avoid most SPS corals until you upgrade the lighting. The old watts/g method really is not a good determinate of lighting either, its more dependant on depth of the tank, height above the water, spread of the light, etc.

Hope that helps some!

Wade

johnw

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wade, thanks for the information. I've got it backwards then - LPS lower light, SPS higher light? Still learning.

Do you think I could house the SPS corals temporarily until I was able to trade with a local LFS or other hobbyist? I'm thinking in the range of 2 weeks or less. The deal on the live rock and balance of the tank is just so good but it's a package deal.

Thanks again.

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you will likely be able to hold them, although in that time they will begin to turn brown. And you could light shock them moving them to higher light after being in lower light for 2 weeks, but it is possible to do so.

Good luck with it!

Wade

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: