• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Hi guys I am in need of buying a RO/DI unit. I was going to buy the
BRS 75gpd+ unit (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...systems/75-gpd-ro-di-5-stage-plus-system.html), but a reader on another forum said to me New York water needs a very specific filter, that is provided by Spectrapure. I am going to quote is explanation:

-------If you live in New York you want the Spectrapure unit with no larger than a 0.5 micron prefilter and preferrably their 0.2 micron ZetaZorb filter. It was developed specificaly for waters such as New York which while they are fairly low in TDS, thye have one of the highest particulate or sediment loadings in the US. This is due to New Yorks lack or surface water treatment plants and using large surface water impoundments.

New York is under EPA consent orders and pay ridiculous fines every day until they get new surface water plants constructed and in operation.

The reason the Spectrapure filter like the ZetaZorb works so well is it has 10x the surface area of a normal spum poly filter so it lasts longer as well as filters down to 0.2 microns so it protects the carbon block from fouling or plugging so it can do its job of removing chlorine. Carbon blocks are made up of billions of tiny microscopic pores or pockets which adsorb the chlorine and VOC's, if the prefilter is a larger micron size or is a nominal rated version it will no do so and both will fail quickly. Two carbon blocks are worthless and unneeded since the filters in front of it are plugged so it further reduces pressure and efficiency. You want a single 0.2 pleated or 0.5 micron prefilter and a single 0.5 or 0.6 micron carbon block. If you go with the 0.5 get spares as it will plug but it is still protecting the carbon block so it should go the normal 6 months. If you go larger than 0.5 microns get spares of both the prefilter and carbon block as they will need frequent replacements, ask anyone in the NYC area about their experiences on filter plugging and pressure drop.

I will personally guarantee you, you will be replacing normal, higher micron nominal rated prefilters and carbon blocks like crazy and the cost will soon discourage you from using the filter and probably lose interest in the reef hobby.

Call the folks at Spectrapure and tell them where you live and let them tell you of the experiences they have with NY waters, they have been beta testing equipment there for years so have tons of stories.----

Is he right? Do you guys agree with what he saying? The only reason I want an opinion from this forum is because, you guys use the same water that I use, is it worth buying the Spectrapure unit vs the BRS unit? Its quite a bit of different in money
Your input would be really apreciated.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
He is right about NY having the highest sediment.
I got of the phone today with Jim from the filter guys, and questioned why i was going thru so many 1 micron pre filters. His answer was "with in the last 6 months all his clients in NY have the same complaint, he thinks its either in our reservoirs, or in the piping".
So I will just keep changing out my 1 micron pre filter more often. Not sure how much of a price difference their is between their ZetaZorb, but i only pay $2 for my pre filters.

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
He is right about NY having the highest sediment.
I got of the phone today with Jim from the filter guys, and questioned why i was going thru so many 1 micron pre filters. His answer was "with in the last 6 months all his clients in NY have the same complaint, he thinks its either in our reservoirs, or in the piping".
So I will just keep changing out my 1 micron pre filter more often. Not sure how much of a price difference their is between their ZetaZorb, but i only pay $2 for my pre filters.
Can you give me the name of your ro/di unit? I would like to compare it with the brs and the specrrapure unit.
Thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: