the_beast

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for all and any advice I can get! I have kept freshwater tanks for years - 100G and a 35G. I just started up a 30G saltwater. I have some live rock at present, and thats as far as I've gone. I would like to add some coral, but I need to know the lighting requirements - any help and product suggestions would really be appreciated! Also, with fragments, how do I attach them to the live rock? I have seen these little plastic thingys, but it's really foreign to me!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to RDO :D

random comments:
1, glad that you look into thing first. This is always a good start!
2, what kind of coral you are looking forward to keep? Different coral have different requirement. Mushroom, for example, usually is not very demanding, and you can get away with VHO or PC. Some coral does not need any light to survive. While some SPS coral and anemone can be very demanding that you need MH or other high intensity light to keep them well.
3, some use epoxy or superglue to attach frags to live rock. Check out some of the reef hardware store, such as www.marinedepot.com and see their product description.

Good luck.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:welcome:

For a 30G, you can use VHO, PC, T5, or metal halides. There are many ways to achieve proper lights over your tank. Although rules of thumbs aren't desirable, I'd aim for something like 200-300 watts over your tank. This will allow you to keep most any coral you want.

For attaching frags, I either just wedge it into holes in the rock or use super glue gel. Epoxy can work too, but I find some corals do not take well to epoxy. Some people attach frags to plastic "plugs" or concrete-like plugs which they then place on their rock or sand. I prefer to have my coral glued directly to the main rock structure. This is definitely the most secure way to go.

Snowboarda42

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use superglue GEL, Dry both the parts that are going to be glued, put a generous amount on the rock and attach the coral. Hold it in place and dunk it underwater, It makes the Gel haze immediately and works better (dunno why)

On corals, it works good to get gel on the fleshy part that you cut

the_beast

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Thanks for all the great advice. I'm going to start shopping this week. Any suggestions for a first coral - something hardy. Also does anyone know off hand the best water parameters for reef?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ammonia, nitrite, nitrate-zero.
ph- 8.3
temp-78-80
calcium 420-450ppm :wink:

as for corals....everyone seems to like xenia in the beginning. grows like a WEED :lol:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: