• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

taat2d

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Ok I know there's been hundred's of skimmer questions. Here's one more.:sgrin: How do I know if my skimmer is doing a superb job? I am currently using a CSS 125. If I were to use a different skimmer, say a Deltec, or ASM, how would the skimmate comapre to the Coralife? I have a moderately stocked tank as for corals, I have 6 small fis and the are fed 3 days a week. As of right now after a week of skimming with a middle of dry/wet skimming I get maybe a half cup of green smelly skimmate. What's to say that with going with a bigger skimmer I'll get more in the collection cup? Anyone got a bigger/better skimmer willing to lend or rent to me so I can see the difference for myself. Especially since I need to see the results in my OWN tank for a comparison?
Thanx

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
How do I know if my skimmer is doing a superb job?

If measurable nutrient levels (phosphates & nitrates) do not rise (assuming no water changes & regular feedings).

Comparing quantity of skimmate with quality of skimmate is difficult to measure since changes in "consistency" (wet vs dry) directly affects the comparison.

Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
I'd test less frequently than that, since I don't know how long it takes for uneaten food to become measurable phosphates/nitrates.

As long as nutrient levels don't rise...say weekly, I'd say the skimmer is working efficiently.

taat2d

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
It seems that for 2-3 days after a wate change it skims highly efficient. After that it seems to slow down. and I have to readjust the knob. Is this the norm?

taat2d

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'm worried about keeping my nutrients low. I just figured that maybe there was a problem and the skimmer wasn't pulling right or something. So it's possible that it's working harder for a few day getting all the crap out then it slows down as there's less and less nutrients in the tank?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: