• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jake levi

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the FWIW department, considering Reuters is about as reliable as 'national enquirer', this for you to consider or no.

Decay of World Coral Reef Threatens
Ocean Wonders
Thu Feb 14, 3:15 PM ET

By Mark John

PARIS (Reuters) - Human abuse risks turning the world's coral reefs into a "seaweed-covered pile of rock and rubble" bereft of its technicolor
marine life, the author of a new report said Thursday.

The death of fragile exotica like the venomous cone snail or the Reunion angelfish would not only destroy the natural beauty of the reef
but stunt its huge potential in science's quest for new medicines, the international study warned.

"There's been a reluctance to consider sea animals as at threat from extinction," said British-based marine conservation biologist Callum
Roberts, co-author of the report to be published in the February 15 issue of Science magazine.

"What we have shown is that many species are limited to small islands and that localized impacts can wipe them out."

The study highlights 10 coral reef "hotspots" from the Philippines to the Caribbean most at risk from overfishing, pollution and climate change and urges the creation of marine reserves to prevent greater destruction.

The United Nations (news - web sites) Environment Program (UNEP), which last year warned the world's coral reefs were shrinking fast, said the study was a wake-up call to focus conservation efforts.

"We must ensure that this unique ecosystem continues to feed, protect and dazzle us and our descendants for generations to come," UNEP
Executive Director Klaus Toepfer said in a statement.

DEADLY MOLLUSC

Coral reefs, often called the "rainforests of the ocean" for the rich diversity of life they support, occupy 284,300 square km (110,000 square
miles) of the planet's surface -- an area half the size of France.

Dynamite fishing, polluting sediment caused by farming and deforestation of coastal land areas, global warming, and the growth of scuba-diver
tourism are threatening over half the world's reef, the report found.

"Degraded reef looks like a seaweed-covered pile of rock and rubble,"
Roberts, a senior lecturer at the University of York in northern England, said in an interview.

"The water is murky and is less productive for food," he added, noting the risk to diet and livelihood for coastal communities heavily reliant on seafood.

Turning coral reefs into marine reserves would not only boost fish catches in the long term but, Roberts argues, make them more attractive for carefully regulated tourism.

The study, supported by U.S.-based biodiversity protection group Conservation International, focused on more than 3,000 species of fish, coral, snail and lobster that need healthy reef environments to survive.

Some creatures are already feared extinct, including some variants of the brilliantly-colored angelfish and damselfish popular in home aquariums.

But more is at stake than maintaining supplies to fishtanks. Coral compounds are used in drugs such as AZT, a treatment for the HIV virus (news - web sites), and some reef-dwellers could provide
inspiration for further medical breakthroughs.

Roberts cited the cone snail, a fish-eating mollusc with venom 1,000 times more powerful than morphine, as showing promise for development as a human painkiller.

"We are only scratching the surface of what reefs could potentially supply," he said.

end of article.

Note that the reporter and researchers cite regulation as the answer to problems they pick out.

Either the industry will clean up its act, or it will get cleaned up for us.
jake

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A great post Jake.
We should as a hobby and industry should adopt voluntary prohibitions on the import of fish and coral from the 10 areas identified.
Some have argued, without any sound basis, in this forum that prohibitions should only be placed where there is evidence of unsustainability.
We now have the evidwence.
Let's hear from the importers, wholesalers and LFS as to what steps they are prepared to do now.
Let me guess! Nothing!
They are going to wait for the government to do it for them.
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Some have argued, without any sound basis, in this forum that prohibitions should only be placed where there is evidence of unsustainability.
We now have the evidwence.
<hr></blockquote>

I must have missed something. This article all but screams of using the reef as a renewable resource after sustainability issues have been addressed. Do you think they can utilize all of the compounds for medicine with out killing the organisms??

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>"We are only scratching the surface of what reefs could potentially supply," he said.

<hr></blockquote>

Doesn't sound like any kind of ban to me. Sounds like they want to protect the ecosystem so that it remains a renewable resource. Which is exactly what sustainability addresses.

Glenn

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted by Glenn:
I must have missed something. This article all but screams of using the reef as a renewable resource after sustainability issues have been addressed.

Wayne, I am with Glenn on this.
icon_confused.gif

Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You better check those reading glasses naesco! I am with Glenn on this one too.

Where is Dr. reef when ya need him. He would probably be against them using marine life for medical research as it would prolong life for us humans and thus hurt the environment even more!!
icon_smile.gif

Chris

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am wrong. I intended to post a new thread and comment on the article in the main forum, saw Jake's and assumed it was the same. I thought I would liven things up a bit.
What happened to my 'blush blush' instant gremlin? It's missing.

[ February 16, 2002: Message edited by: naesco ]</p>

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't understand this:

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> Some have argued, without any sound basis, in this forum that prohibitions should only be placed where there is evidence of unsustainability.
<hr></blockquote>

Glenn

jake levi

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feel on reading it was that this is a trend that is going to snowball with major restrictions that will impact heavily on the industry/hobby.

Its appearing in the 'popular' press such as Reuters and a popular 'science' mag means a lot of uniformed are going to be jumping on the 'the govt MUST do SOMETHING' bandwagon.' As Will Rogers said, "there is little that the govt has got themselves into that they havent messed up", a jake paraphrase but that was the essence.

I suspect that pharmaceuticals companys will come out well and our industry for sure not so well. No politician is going to push for johnny not getting his shots, but our industry is right there up front and personal for a scapegoat.

Color me cynical.

Those into captive rearing stand in a good position to benefit and they are about the only ones.

If the industry doesnt self-regulate its going to be done for them, and sooner then later.

BTW, the new issue of FAMA has an excellent article up front on this topic.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
My feel on reading it was that this is a trend that is going to snowball with major restrictions that will impact heavily on the industry/hobby

I agree. Only the amount of collection will remain the same. Instead of the hobby collecting it, the pharmaceutical companies will. The reefs will still be just as threatened as they were before. Although if the pharmaceutical companies do get involved then the government will have more interest in the matter and collection methods may be a little more controllable. I just don't think regulation by the hobby is going to help much in this matter. What needs to be regulated is the how and when the critters are collected, and the average LFS can't do much about that.

Glenn

Bill2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jake levi:
<strong>My feel on reading it was that this is a trend that is going to snowball with major restrictions that will impact heavily on the industry/hobby.

Its appearing in the 'popular' press such as Reuters and a popular 'science' mag means a lot of uniformed are going to be jumping on the 'the govt MUST do SOMETHING' bandwagon.' As Will Rogers said, "there is little that the govt has got themselves into that they havent messed up", a jake paraphrase but that was the essence.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's hard to tell whether the gov't will take a real hard or soft stance on anything. The rainforest has been constantly in the news and we dont' ban imports from those counries. I also tend to believe that it depends on which party is in power and what scandel is going round
icon_smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: