LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inquired about the most colorful/encrusted rock at several venues the past couple days (after having been disappointed with LiveAquaria's 'Premium Fiji Select' looking just like dry shelf/base rock) both local & online.

I was saddened to see the only decently encrusted rock is painted/stained an almost uniform deep maroon color, seemingly some sort of acrylic paint not to different from the spray-enamel used for pools and chipped tubs, albeit in a much dark color than pool blue or porcelain white.

When I ask each vendor/distributor what it actually is, they swear it's an all natural stain applied thickly to most of the surface of the rock, but don't know what it is.

:banghead:

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Lbc that sucks, but I saw a for sale thread on live rock, he might have some with coraline. If ur cal is not at range and u dont have strong lightin ur gonna have a tough time keepin it like that

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I was originally upset when I found out that "Real Reef Rock" was artificial. But overall, I've been extremely happy with form, function, and looks and after learning more about it, I'm very happy to have made less of an impact on our oceans. If I were to do it again, I would do RRR no question 100%. In fact I may be adding some more rock to my tank soon and if I don't get any in trade, I'll be getting more of the same!

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are right. Artificially colored aquacultured rock with natural ingredients may be more enviro-friendly.

That's assuming the rock underneath isn't pulled from reefs, anyway.

The reason I'm saddened, if that they have to resort to this quick, fast turnover than actually aquaculture the same rock to have some coralline growth on on.

But, it sure beats the 'Premium Fiji Select' I received from LiveAquaria which cost me $140 for the 45lb box and none of it has even a trace of coralline on it!

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
You guys are right. Artificially colored aquacultured rock with natural ingredients may be more enviro-friendly.

That's assuming the rock underneath isn't pulled from reefs, anyway.

The reason I'm saddened, if that they have to resort to this quick, fast turnover than actually aquaculture the same rock to have some coralline growth on on.

But, it sure beats the 'Premium Fiji Select' I received from LiveAquaria which cost me $140 for the 45lb box and none of it has even a trace of coralline on it!

the rock is 100% artificial even under the purple coating just get a piece and break it you will soon see. i work for a store that sells the purple rock and i do have to say it sells. for those wondering the purple coating is i believe a latex base so the coraline can grow on faster than it would on just plain regular rock being that it grows faster on plastics than rock so it is purple when you get it and it is purple when your coraline grows on it

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can the rock itself be 100% artificial?

What is the raw product that creates the heaviness, as well as the branchiness on some sections.

I do not have any to break yet but I have seen freshly broken sections of it and indeed it seems a uniform white calcium carbonate.

Guess its just some sort of waterproof, dense plaster that is randomly shaped, made right here in the US? It would be cool to know exactly what chemicals are involved for safety sake despite the whole trade secret cover.

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go on some sites classified section and buy established rock or put rock in your tank and let it grow naturally. Coraline will only grow where there is light. If you get a rock from someone's tank and it's not reciving the same light at the same angle and intesity coraline will die in some spots and come back in others. Colors might also change. Coraline is also affected by other factors. You are not going to get a 80% covers rock place it in your tank and have it remain 80% covered.

I am ordering rock right now. I ordered from two diffrent stores to add diversity to my tank. After reading your posts about live aquaria I am about to order 45 pounds of primium live rock just to see if it's as bad as you make it seem.

Do you have pictures of the live aquaria rock? I really want to see what all the whining is about.

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Real reef rock is a calcium carbonate. It's then formed into shapes that resemble natural rock.

Coraline grows when you're magnesium, calcium and alkalinity are all balanced. You could have all the light in the world, when those 3 are stable you'll get coraline growth.

The bonus they harp on is no environmental impact on the ocean. The other main great point is it will never come with any hitchhikers when you buy it as the first owner.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
How can the rock itself be 100% artificial?

I believe the poster meant that non of the rock is taken from a living reef when he mentioned 100% artificial.

The RRR is OK as long as you use it in the regular reef keeping manor. There was a serious system crash in a reef shop when some workers mistakenly used some, so called, ALL NATURAL meds which is milky in color(I forgot the name), in their system. The meds burn all the stain and leave a ashy looking peels. Of course, the system crashed as well

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, meds having a chemical reaction with an all-natural secret stain *cough*

I can just imagine how much the 'dyed' rock business wants us to keep us believing its just an all-natural dye.

Purple 2-part epoxy pool paint, anyone? Nevertheless, still fascinated about how in the world they get plaster into those shapes, though =D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: