• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Blue Tang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, i was just wondering would a 400ltr uv sterilizer be enough for my 600ltrs? LFS wants $180 for it ,or should i go bigger? :?

Thanks for any feedback!
Blue Tang. :mrgreen:

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is the norm around here is people say no to UV. Many feel that it also kills the beneficial bacteria and such in the water that the corals need.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way, look for equipment (marinedepot.com is usually my judge on these things :) ) online as well as your LFS to have an idea on price. Obviously, it'll be cheaper online, but if it's close enough for you personally, support the LFS. HTH

Blue Tang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to get a uv unit because I thought that most people had one ? as well as the fact that I get my water straight from the ocean I was thinking that there may well be some nastie's in the water.Man if i can save $180 i'll be happy , What do you guys recomend? tnx
Blue Tang :? :mrgreen:

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i would actually use one if I was using ocean water. Maybee thats because i swim in jersey though and they close the beaches from time to time becasue of contamination.
raw sewage in the tank can't be good. i don't even know if a UV would clean that! lol

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one on my 300G. I use it to help new fish have a better chance of not introducing disease to my tank. I will shut it down once I am convienced that all of my fish are healthy and I am done stocking (which will be soon).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: