Dana Riddle

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Richard,

I find it interesting that you have apparently changed your opinion on velocity v. turbulence in an aquarium. I recall your statement at the Ft. Lauderdale MACNA, something like "It isn't velocity that counts, it's turbulence."

Your product review doesn't indicate how you arrived at calculating the water velocities as shown in the charts. The grapevine suggests you've purchased a water velocity meter - true? If so, which brand? These meters are extremely expensive (mine cost $3,000). That seems like a lot of money to spend in order to determine something you've publically stated is of only secondary importance.

After our skirmishes on Fishnet concerning my use of an electronic meter and an apparent disdain for its use, I think many would like to hear if your opinion has changed.

Dana

rharker

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana Riddle":16jqrhxf said:
I find it interesting that you have apparently changed your opinion on velocity v. turbulence in an aquarium. I recall your statement at the Ft. Lauderdale MACNA, something like "It isn't velocity that counts, it's turbulence."

After our skirmishes on Fishnet concerning my use of an electronic meter and an apparent disdain for its use, I think many would like to hear if your opinion has changed.

I've expressed my opinion regarding velocity meters in several articles and forums and it remains the same. They are of limited value for characterizing water motion on a natural reef or in a reef tank. They measure unidirectional flow in an environment that ideally has very little. As the review pointed out, the apparent flow as measured by the meter dropped off very quickly and yet it is clear from the motion of the strips that flow was quite apparent.

Richard Harker

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: