A

Anonymous

i am interested in purchasing a wet/dry filter for my 58 gal tank. keeping in mind the tank is not drilled, can anyone suggest a top of the line manufactuer.
thanks in advance, ufo.

A

Anonymous

ufo,
I guess you want one for a fish only tank ??

the one thing about wet\dry's are there pretty much all the same....I used one on my 55 gal FO tank for about 7+ years and never had one problem with it(the brand name was Del Rey)it was rated for tanks up to 125 gal....IMO I would get the biggest one you can fit in the tank stand just for more water.....

If you have LR in your tank I would forget the wet\dry and just go for a large sump.

Mark

------------------
see my tank at
members.xoom.com/golfish1/reef.htm

A

Anonymous

Hi Ufo,

Mark is right, almost all of them are the same. I am using an Amiracle on my tank for over 2 years and have had no problmes. The only wet-drys that seem to be different are the CPR CPY series and those that have the skimmer and other equipment built in. I also agree with Mark, forgo the media and buy a tank instead of a wetdry. The tank will add a larger volume of water to your system and will cost you less. My LFS has 40 gallon acrylic tanks for $129, far less than even the smallest wetdry.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

HI:
I'll third the motion.. I have a 20long tank as my sump and as a wet/dry I have a 5gal bucket w/ lots of holes punched thru the bottom. It holds 8 gallons of biomedia, water comes from my overflow into the top of the bucket, and pours down into the biomedia then into the 20gal long....
All wet/drys really are the same...and those w/ built in sumps give you so little extra gallonage there are not worth the extra money...A LFS here in town sells these el chepo wet/dry/sump w/ built in skimmers for around $145, this only hold about 10gal of water totally full...which means you run about 3-4 inches of water in it (about 2-3gal) so you have to fill it daily to prevent it from running dry...not good for the money.
buy a tank for your sump, and add in an el cheapo wet/dry or the plastic bucket like i mentioned.
my opinion
frank

A

Anonymous

If you want a cheap sump, do what I did. Go to WalMart and get a big RubberMaid tub. Works just fine!

A

Anonymous

Here's one thing to consider. When you set up a wet/dry or sump, you'll find all sorts of toys to put down there, so make it as big as possible. This provides another benefit:added water volume. This is great for helping to stabilize the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: