• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bobimport

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been a fun year so far. On Jan 4 I cane home to a smoke filled house due to a fish tank fire. And you all know what happened to Haiti. I am pleased to report that the people i deal with are ok. I was worried due to the fact that Jean Bernard's house was on the side of a mountain in the hill above Port Au Prince. The back end of his house is about 15 feet off the ground supported by steel poles. I thought for sure that it would collapse. But no it survived with out much damage but his neighbors home slid down the hill. What ever you have seen on TV is only Port Au Prince the destruction in the south is much worse. These out lying city's and towns have no access to the outside world and will not be reached for weeks or months. Remember all food imported flows through PAP. With no port its going to be very ugly. I have started sending reman soup and other dry goods on flights as it costs about $8 TO SEND A GALLON OF WATER.
I am not sure what started the fire in the tank but I think it was the light heating up the plastic in the pre filter. Or the flame angle got frisky with the flame Gobi. The house is totaled inside. The dry wall will have to come out upstairs and down all soft furniture is destroyed

Attachments

• 100_1735.JPG
    100_1735.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 803
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to know that you're OK regardless of the tank fire, quake and such. The situation in Haiti is just incredible. :cry:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bobimport":3bbwz4b3 said:
Well its been a fun year so far. On Jan 4 I cane home to a smoke filled house due to a fish tank fire. And you all know what happened to Haiti. I am pleased to report that the people i deal with are ok. I was worried due to the fact that Jean Bernard's house was on the side of a mountain in the hill above Port Au Prince. The back end of his house is about 15 feet off the ground supported by steel poles. I thought for sure that it would collapse. But no it survived with out much damage but his neighbors home slid down the hill. What ever you have seen on TV is only Port Au Prince the destruction in the south is much worse. These out lying city's and towns have no access to the outside world and will not be reached for weeks or months. Remember all food imported flows through PAP. With no port its going to be very ugly. I have started sending reman soup and other dry goods on flights as it costs about $8 TO SEND A GALLON OF WATER.
I am not sure what started the fire in the tank but I think it was the light heating up the plastic in the pre filter. Or the flame angle got frisky with the flame Gobi. The house is totaled inside. The dry wall will have to come out upstairs and down all soft furniture is destroyed

Sorry to hear about your house!! What kind of lighting did you have in there? One of my lights caught fire one day. Luckilly my wife came home just as the fire started and she got it out before the canopy caught fire.

bobimport

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T-5 8 bulb

I just found out another shipper from Haiti Jean Claude Borno is ok but house gone
Borno has been shipping for over 30 years

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob, glad to hear you and yours are OK, especially your people in Haiti. It will be a long slow process for that country, and I fear it will get worse before it gets better, but I'm glad your contacts survived the quake.

Sorry to hear about the fire too - that's awful. Better days ahead, for sure.

Jenn

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: