Mal

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two reef tanks [125 and 50 gal] and both are getting a thin red algae growing on the glass and the fine white sand. The algae is growing in the outflow path of where the powerheads push water. The power heads are pointed toward the glass in the tank at an angle. I whipe the algae film off the glass and turn over the sand and it is back the next day in about 4 hours.

The 125 gal has 175lb LR, about 20" of fish Calcium is 400+, Nitrates 15 (comming down) Nitrites 0, salt 1.026, Ammonia 0, PH 8.2, skimmer, 465 watts VHO and 300MH, losts of water movement, etc.

The 50 gal has 100lb LR, 2 fish, Calcium is 400+, Nitrates 5 (comming down) Nitrites 0, salt 1.0245, Ammonia 0, PH 8.2, 200 watts PC light.

Does anyone have any idea what this is from and how to stop it from growing?

Thank you

Mal

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its quite normal in newer tanks to see not only the red algae types, but you will also likely see brown and green as well. Its a normal part of the progression/maturation. The best thing to do is wait until your nitrates are 0 (ESPECIALLY before adding any livestock, which you already have based on another post). Do a test for phosphates to make certain you aren't getting anything in with your water as well.

Make sure you are using RO/DI water and good quality salt.
Keep a high level of flow throughout the tanks.
Skim heavily! This is key to reducing nutrient levels.
Watch out for overfeeding.
Be patient... do not try any antibiotics, etc.

In order to grow, algae needs 3 things... CO2/O2, nutrients (NO3, NO2, NH4, PO4, silica), and light... only one of which you can readily control.

Wade

Mal

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Wade

What do you define as a new tank [age]?

I am using only RO water with 0 nitrates.
I am using instant ocean reef crystals.
I have 12 to 18 times water turn over in the tanks. That is what seams to be causing the algae growth. It grows in the current areas!

I am skimming in the 125. The 50 does not have a skimmer, but nitrates are not going up. I am due for a water change, and I expect it to lower the nitrates more. Will I need a skimmer with only 2 fish?

I will test for phosphates.

I do have alot of light. Should I cut it back some?

What is overfeeding? I feed the 125 reef several times each week. It all gets eaten. I feed the 50 daily, small amounts. What is too much?

Mal

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: