Barbie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The egg strand is a little over 2 inches long. Sorry for the reflections on the glass, I wanted to get pics before something had them for lunch just in case
icon_smile.gif

eggs.jpg

I have 4 types of snails, and one stomatella, if that helps the identification any
icon_smile.gif

Barbie

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could be from any of them or even snails that you don't even know are in your tank.

Regards,
David Mohr

Barbie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you David
icon_smile.gif
The tank is relatively new and I was just curious to see if anyone knew which type laid them in that pattern. I have some baby astrea snails in the tank that I assumed hitchhiked in on the live rock. My cleaner shrimp are carrying around eggs, the neon gobies have been seen doing the hubba hubba dance and I'm starting to wonder if the additional lighting I added has made for more of a "mood" setting at dusk. Hmmm, you'd think I'd be able to tell if someone dumped wine in there wouldn't you?

*KIDDING!*

Barbie

Barbie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mushroom Boy
icon_smile.gif
So far the cleaner shrimp that just molted is the only thing thats been even close to them. Mostly because they were laid outside "his" cave probably.
icon_smile.gif

Barbie

Hammer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe them to be Cerith. Every time my water stays about 2 degrees above normal, I have these eggs ALL OVER my tank. I have seen the Cerith laying these exact patterns three times first hand so far.

The only thing that changed that I know of was the temp because I have been expirementing with my AC and canopy and fan combinations to maintain tank temperature.

Barbie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Anchorage and my tank temp stays rock solid at 80 degrees, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the trigger here, but I'm glad to hear they at least feel happy enough in there that they wanna reproduce
icon_smile.gif

Barbie

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I'm pretty sure that isn't the trigger here..."

You have a trigger in your tank??? What kind?

icon_razz.gif

-Chip

Barbie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hehe chip, I'm thinking my best course of action would be to ignore the whole "spawning trigger" subject with you
icon_biggrin.gif

Barbie

Barbie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Hammer and Nathan
icon_smile.gif
The fish haven't spotted them yet I guess. They survived the night. It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to hatch, or if they even will. I appreciate the help
icon_smile.gif

Barbie

Hammer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to have any hatch for me yet. At least that I know of anyway. They usually stay in the tank for 3 to 6 days, then dissapear. I don't know the time that it should take for them to develop, and I haven't seen much change in those times. But that doesn't seem like a long enough time to mature.
I actually think some of my other snails are eating them.

I am currently setting up an refugium right now, and after it is stable, I will move all known eggs down there for safety of the eggs. And hopefully get some nice pictures of their growth.

Does anyone know how long before they 'hatch'?

Barbie

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your snails tend to lay their eggs near a powerhead or current source? FWIW With FW snails 6 days would be plenty long for them to hatch out and spread through the tank. You haven't seen any new little ones pop up anywhere? It might be that we just aren't able to provide a needed step in his dietary requirements. How do you intend to move the eggs?

Barbie

canadawest

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely Cerith Snail eggs. I get patches like that laid constantly throughout my tank. Don't be surprised if you look at a rock or hard to see glass and find some more.

Every week I see another patch or two, although I don't think that any have ever made it through the "hatch". I'm sure that the fish and inverts in my tank make a quick meal of the babies during a hatch.

Not sure what triggers mine either, but I would also suspect temperature change as mine fluctuates from 80-84 throughout the day depending on the outside temperature. My lights are on/off the same pattern (timer) and water parameters are pretty constant.

Most people just say that it's a sign of a healthy tank when inhabitants breed. I've also discovered a shrimp hatch one day just after lights out as well!

Hammer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them lay the eggs in the power head filter! And everywhere else as well.

If they have hatched, it was always during the night. That is when they dissapeared.
And I haven't seen any signs of babies.

I was planning on using something like a razor blade, or maybe something softer to try and remove them.

Also wish I knew what would help them survive the first few days out. Like food and whatever.

Who knows, maybe I have some babies in my tank. But I have yet to see them. They have most likely been snacks for my fish.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: