JurisHP

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear All: I am hoping to get some direction from the group. I have a 180g mixed reef tank with live rock, live sand (Aragonite), (softies, shrooms, Ricordea, Frogspawn, Hammer Coral, a huge clam, RBTA's, a ton of polyps and fish (mostly tangs). The tank is lit by 3 Ecotech Radion Pro's and 2 Vortech MP40's. I have a Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer, a Ca Reactor, and a 45 gallon sump with live rock in it (I recently removed bioballs and replaced with LR). I dose carbon, MicroBacter7, AcroPower, NOPOX, and NeoNitro. My levels are pretty consistent: Salinity: 1.026;Temp: 78.3; pH: 8.66; Ca: 430; Mg: 1280; NO3: 8.73; PO4: .64. My ongoing problem that I need help with is that I am dying to have a tank full of Zoas, but they keep dying off. I can't seem to keep them alive for more than a few weeks, and they NEVER grow (everything else grows like weeds). I have changed my lighting schedules various times, as we'll as my Vortech's, tweaked my dosing here and there, and now I am waiting for a GFO Reactor from BRS to get my Phosphates down. I know my Nitrates are elevated, but I understand that this should not have much of an effect on the Zoas. Any suggestions?

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Welcome aboard!
If all is doing well in that tank and i dont think its the PO4 even though it is high but not high for zoes the mabe you have something in the tank that is picking at them. Keep an eye out for that. Another thing is and i hate to go there but the radions are a finicky LED that are very strong if anything is directly under them and they are powered up at a high level which could contribute to then melting away and if thats the case then move the zoes away from the direct beam under the pucks.
Good Luck!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Always best to Put any new coral in a shaded are and slowly move them out, Honestly since New studies have been going on about them, They are now saying Zoas, Aren't as easy to care for as everyone thinks, They aren't a Bullet Proof for location in the tank, and from my experience, They melt for no reason. My scrambled Egg Zoas, Were glued in and in the same spot no change nothing for a year, Out of no where, they decided to melt, so I put them on the sand bed and now new heads are coming back. Very Odd these corals are, But Rewarding in the end.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: