sapseven

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
wet skimming does the job but removes to much wanted stuff from the tank as well .. i notice everything drop heavily when i wet skim .. so on a scale from ( 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 ) 10 being dryest and100 being wettest im between a 60 and 70

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
It has to do with adjusting the water level in your skimmer.

Higher level = Wet
Lower level = Dry

sapseven said:
wet skimming does the job but removes to much wanted stuff from the tank as well .. i notice everything drop heavily when i wet skim

What is the "wanted" stuff you are removing with your skimmer?

"Everything drop heavily"?????

Can you elaborate on that. I'm not understanding.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i skim more to the dry side myself, i really dont see how skimming wetter would make you lose more trace elements. reasoning being dry skimming leaves more stuff on the neck so wouldnt the trace elements be left on the neck with everything else ? and i see people say they dont skim wet because of salinity. dont see where it would effect that either, unless you have a 5g bucket for it to drain into. a quart isnt going to chnge salinity enough to be noticed especially on a larger tank. i do weekely wc's though. { i use a euroreef rs135 on total of 30g's of water } so i might be stipping it anyways. it is heavily stocked sps tank

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wet skimming for about 3 weeks now,seen a HUGE drop in cyano/diatom growth, and corraline is starting to grow,and I have seen a salinity drop of
1.026-1.027 to 1.025-1.026 and my system is on the average-small side so salinity isn't really a problem.As for trace, my two shrimp have molted a combined 5 times in a month:D and their growth is amazing(and a hermit once) so Im guessing my trace elements are at very good levels.

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i prefer dry skimming but because most tanks I care for I only visit once a week I tend to make it wet so I don't have to clean it as often.

I think it's like aaron said the satisfaction of the stank

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be considered dry?My old seaclone (that piece of cr@p:irked:)used to pull out mud, it would take like a month but I was considering using the stuff as fertilizer.Now I have seen skimmate basicly like water thats a little cloudy so what is the cut off line?Pics would help.

reefkprZ

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a medium wet skim as I feed heavily and want to skim as much as possible out of my tank quickly even at the cost of the trace elements that skimmers pull out

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: