allsmilze

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is usual where it suppose to be 1.022-1.023. I use to keep a low salinity when I had a fish only set up to prevent parasites but now that I have corals I can't do that any longer. My aquarium was a bit low in salinity so what I did was add the salt slowly through the refugium or sump. I really don't like doing this (adding it in it's raw form) and have considered perhaps just taking some water out of the tank and adding the salt into the cup then return it into the aquarium in a diluted form. But, I'm curious as to how others do it..
thanx,

XxAllsmilzexX

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I'd refrain from adding salt directly to the tank. Bad idea. I'm sure it says it right there on the mixing instructions. If I ever need to raise salinity I'll just scoop out some water and add newly made saltwater. fyi when your water evaporates the salinity goes up. What are your setup specs?

Levito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I do the same as BobNY. If I notice the salinity is low, I'll mix salt into the water I top off with. I make sure to have any salt mix with water for at least 24 hours before adding it to the tank.

When I add my top off (fresh or salt depending on the situation), since I don't have an ATO, I add it very slowly to not disturb any of the animals. I use a very weak pump which take about 15 minutes to pump 1 gallon from the bucket up into the tank.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
You should first understand why your salinity is low then remedy the situation. as stated when evaporation occurs the salinity gets higher, the water evaporates not the salt. what you can do is add salt ready mixed with your top off to bring things back.

BTW why do you keep your reef at such a low salinity? most keep it at 1.024- 1.026
or 35ppt.

allsmilze

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for your great advice. Guarda, your tanks are beautiful; Alex, I am new to reef keeping. My aquarium was always fish only So, in essence I am learning. I just got two pieces of coral on monday which are mushrooms and polyps. I am working on raising the salinity but I'm afraid of overshooting it. thanks levito & thanks Bobny..
Gratitude!

XxAllsmilzexX

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: