• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

46nBliss

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
i used rc.. and if your not using a refractometer you may be mixing the salt too rich.. bc at 1.024 the cal is in the 350 range and the mag is real low at abt 850... i used it for abt 2 years before moving to esv..

just a thought

I have been using a hydrometer on the salinity test. So the directions say a half a cup per gallon. i mixed a five gallon bucket so i used 2 1/2 cups. so your saying that the salinity can be higher if i used the calculated amount on the directions?

I'm going to buy a refractormeter this week cause i was thinking although i've been using a the hydro for years its time to let go lol.

thanks

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always get a charge on the ridiculous claims of "the best salt there is". More often than not, it is not the salt but a shift in the environment chemistry and at times that shift can make a tank go very bad or at times good. And it is from the reefer, not the salt, from not tanking care of his/her tank...period. There is NO such thing as some salt being more successful than another, it is the reefer that makes a tank successful. If one wants to go by the top 100 most successful reef tanks in the world, hands-down, the winners are IO and RC period.

and if your not using a refractometer you may be mixing the salt too rich.. bc at 1.024 the cal is in the 350 range and the mag is real low at abt 850..

That can not be unless you are mixing it wrong. RC @ 25C, 1.026 ~ 490 Calcium ( New blend in the last 2 years. Maybe some of you are getting the old salt still at that ~ way over 500)

490 / 26 = 18.85

18.85 x 24 = 452 ppm Calcium not 350

and you will get similar for Magnesium.

However, you can get that 350 even with a refract if you mix it to fast, as the high concentration in the local mixing area, where you dump it in, cause the local preicp of Calcite and Magnesium Hydroxide mostly, which pulls the Ca++, Mg++ and Alk down. Mixing temp also can cause issues. When you are dealing with any salt with Calcium much more over 420 you need to mix it slower and more so at any normal or high Ca++ if the Alk is high also. The same thing applies when using salts that use anhydrous salts in the mixes, which cause a exothermic reaction raising the temp of the water causing more rapid precip.

I have been using a hydrometer on the salinity test. So the directions say a half a cup per gallon.

What kind of Hydrometer and made by who ? If it is a swing-arm hydrometer and it has never been cleaned it can be way off, as it accumulates salt deposits on the swing-arm, which drags the needle down, so you really have a much higher Salinity than you think.

Refractometers can be WAY off, especially about 90 % of those used in this hobby as they are NOT seawater refracts but table salt refracts, which need to be calibrated in a seawater std and NOT RO/DI water.

Last edited:

46nBliss

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
What kind of Hydrometer and made by who ? If it is a swing-arm hydrometer and it has never been cleaned it can be way off, as it accumulates salt deposits on the swing-arm, which drags the needle down, so you really have a much higher Salinity than you think.

Refractometers can be WAY off, especially about 90 % of those used in this hobby as they are NOT seawater refracts but table salt refracts, which need to be calibrated in a seawater std and NOT RO/DI water.[/QUOTE]

Its a coral life deep six swing arm Hydrometer. I just cleaned it out with a vinegar wash. And it was reading lower after all.

I thought my tank was @ 1.023 after i cleaned it @ 1.025

that means the salt i mixed has been higher then i thought.

So what kind of refracotmeters are setup for our hobby? brand?

Last edited:

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bliss, this one

http://thefilterguys.biz/refractometers.htm

Real Seawater refract that can be cal in RO/DI water but one should still get the seawater 53.0 mS STANDARDIZED FLUID
VEEGEE.jpg

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Vendor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is salt ! Or is it!?

Yup brook pretty much it. Some may have a better tech data sheet but that does make a reef more successful. SeaChem Labs new salt called Aqua Vitro Salnity or Bob's ESV have the best data sheets.

46nBliss

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
The hydrometer was the problem giving me a false readout. i got the calibrated refractormeter and my salinity was way off. I'm at 1.030! I'm not going to sweat it being everything in my tank looks happy> just going to slowly add RODI and probably next water change i will make the Salinity just a bit lower then usual.

Thanks for all the input guys! the thread was successful for me hopefully for anybody that searches in the future with the same mishap.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: