• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Acro76

cherrycorals.com farmer!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well the birth of my first child has inspired me to finally build a display tank that I can actually sit back in a comfortable chair and enjoy! Little kids love staring at fish tanks, so it should be something the whole family can enjoy... It has been close to 7 years since I've had a display tank going!

As some of you may or may not know, my day job (Cherry Corals is mostly nights and weekends) is doing tank maintenance, design, and installation. The installation is what really keeps me going, as it much more creative and fun than the sometimes monotonous job of aquarium maintenance.

My office will be the chosen space for the aquarium, and since it is rather small (100 square feet). I've decided on a 60 gallon cube.

Here are the specs:

Tank

Marineland 24" x 24" x 24" cube with overflow and black trim
Stand: Monterey Black

Lighting

Since I plan on keeping mostly LPS, zoas and a few NPS corals, I've decided to go with one Aqua Illumination LED module. I have a PAR meter and I plan on mounting the fixture fairly high in order to get a good even spread of the LED's. The 24" depth will also help. I can do PAR readings right next to a coral that is thriving and then test the PAR in the new tank. I can change the plan if it turns out that I need 2 units. I also plan on routing control lines from my fixture to the basement, where my Profilux II (soon to be upgraded to a PIII) controls one of my basement systems.

Water Flow

I will be using a MagDrive 12 as a main system pump from the basement. Two EcoTech Vortec MP10ES wireless will provide additional flow. I may add another MP10 if needed. I will also be using the EcoTech battery backup.

Filtration

Ok, there will be a bit of cheating here! This will tie into one of my 500 gallon systems already in my basement! This system already has a controller, 500 wt. heater, calcium reactor, dosing pumps w/balling method, and a large ATI Bubble master skimmer. I also do weekly water changes on the system, so it should be very stable.

Design

I would like to do a floating reef design, as I personally do not use sand... I like the look of it, I just don't like it moving around with the water flow and keeping it looking pristine can be a pain! I plan to have the whole reef levitated above the bottom via clear or black acrylic. I will have lots of aquacultured acans and challices across the bottom. Lots of zoa morphs and other eye candy for sure! I plan to be as creative as I can with regards to aquascaping!

Last edited:

Acro76

cherrycorals.com farmer!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My inspiration for the tank is my daughter, Natalie. She was born on 2-17-10, so I've been a bit busy! This is her 3 month picture:

Natalie3months4.jpg

Here is the work I've done thus far...

Prepping the back of the tank for paint:

IMG_6989.jpg

Painting!

IMG_6990.jpg

Decided on two Vortec MP10ES Wireless pumps with battery backup

IMG_6991.jpg

Installed!

IMG_7075.jpg

Cut a hole in the wall since that will be easier to fix if I move than a hole in the floor! Ran 1.5" pool spa/flex and 1" vinyl tubing to basement.

IMG_7052.jpg

IMG_7051.jpg

Everything is level, plumbing glued, bulkheads tightened...time for water!

IMG_7053.jpg

Tank is full! No leaks! :thumbsup:

IMG_7074.jpg

Acro76

cherrycorals.com farmer!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
One of the coolest parts of the tank...

Aqua Illumination LED module with the following in each puck:

1 - Cree XP-G 6500K
1 - Cree XP-E Blue 470nm
1 - Cree XR-E Royal Blue 450nm

Before you ask, these are not in normal production yet, but hopefully they will be soon! The color at 100% power is similar to a 20K radium halide.

NewCorals_2-9.jpg

NewCorals_1-10.jpg

NewCorals-11.jpg

IMG_7076.jpg

danny

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
baby girl

Congratulations she a real cutie, as a father of a cutie also I started sweating when she was 13 yrs. old but polishing the shotgun when the boys came gave me a little peace of mind lol.
Good Luck

Acro76

cherrycorals.com farmer!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Update

Well I've been working on the tank, but slacking on the updates!

• I mocked up a aluminum light rail made out of 80/20 for the initial start up of the AI fixture, however I was not at all happy with it. This light is so compact and lightweight, it was just overkill having aluminum rail holding it up. So I ended up hanging the light from the ceiling.
  • Decided the 2 MP10s are not quite enough flow, so I am getting my MP20 repaired (i dropped the dry side in my sump! aaahh!) for use in the tank. The acropora I plan on putting on the top of the live rock will love the extra flow!
  • Added many coral colonies as shown in the photos, but my goal is to eventually have the tank be over 80% propagated stock (except for scolymias of course!)

Well photos tell the story so here they are...

60cubetank.jpg

60cubetank_1.jpg

60cubetank_2.jpg

Yes that is a Kent Proscraper that I sacrificed for this project!

60cubetank_3.jpg

After all the rock was drilled, I figured out the combination of rock work that looked appealing. Since the structure was still a bit loose, I used Fauna Marin Reefscape Foam to firm everything up. The resulting structure ends up being flexible but very strong!

60cubetank_4.jpg

Rock structure complete!

60cubetank_5.jpg

Covered with wet paper towel so the coralline algae does not get to dried out while the foam cures. Fauna Marin says it can take up to 4 hours to cure, but I checked it out after 2 hours and it was done.

60cubetank_6.jpg

Tank with corals!

60cubetank_7.jpg

It really is nice to have a tank to enjoy in my office!

60cubetank_8.jpg

Next update:

HD Video
Growth sequences
Fish

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
It really is nice to have a tank to enjoy in my office!

60cubetank_8.jpg

Next update:

HD Video
Growth sequences
Fish[/QUOTE]

Very nice Brett. I like the scoly photos on either side of the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: