A

Anonymous

well I am finally about to buy my first set of metal halides (upgrading from 6 NO Fluorescents) I am going to choose a make called Arcadia, we don't have much of a choice here in UK they are in a canopy that will hang above the tank, the tank is 48" x 18" x 18", I can get either 2x150 watt 10,00k with a compact actinic fluo. or a 2x 250watt 10,00k with compact actinic fluo. what would you choose? is the 2x250watt overkill? I eventually want to keep various acros, Please give me your opinions as you all have much more experience than me!

Looking forward to the replies.

A

Anonymous

If Acroporas sp. are what you want to keep, I would go with 250 wattts MH, besides they are the common bulbs over the 150 watters, if you can, go with VHO actinic instead of the power compacts, the PC actinic are not really true actinic at all, but decorative blue, you will miss the neon effect with pc actinic.

A

Anonymous

I too would op for the 250s. With them, you will be able to keep any light loving coral in that tank. If heat is a worry, just use a couple fans.

------------------
#reefs channel operator

A

Anonymous

If you want to keep corals, then 150's are fine. If you want to grow corals, then at least 250's are fine.

smile.gif

-Nathan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: