A

Anonymous

Seems like a dumb question- I know you can from RO, but I have one of those tap water purification (DI) systems and it says not for human consumption...

I'm interested because I want to purchase a ro unit and trying to decide if to get DI or not.

Chucker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a word, yes. The disclaimer about not drinking from them usually stems from the fact that RO/DI units produced for aquarium use have no anti-bacterial protection. You can simply run the unit for a few minutes to empty the water that sat in it from the last use to bypass that problem.

The other arguement posed is that you'll end up with some kind of nutrient deficiency. Again, this isn't something you need worry about. Any individual that eats a healthy diet will get more than enough minerals through their meals without having to worry about depriving themselves of anything.

whirley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does taco bell for dinner consistute
a healthy meal?

icon_razz.gif

whirley

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan,

I already had a TWP when I bought my 3-stage Dolphin RO unit form AquaFX. I attached the output hose from the RO unit into the intake of the DI unit. Presto - an RO/DI unit.

HTH

Styk33

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drink the waste water out of my RO/DI unit. The tap water is gross, but having the waste water tastes just as good as the 'clean' water. Since waste water just goes to my planter, I drink it when I need water.

Been doing it for two years.

tlc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would not. it lacks the electrolites found naturaly in water. icertainly would not drink tap either. as for r/o waste. dont even want to go there...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drink the waste water, and do laundry with it, it's allready been mech & carbon filtered so it's much better than straight tap water.

Kalkbreath

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the Flouride issue, It seems the next Generation is going to end up with a lack of fluoride in their diets. Without treated tap water included in ones diet,all the bottled water and colas in the world will not add any of this needed element. One just has to look to our southern border{ Mexico} to witness the effects of fluoride free diets? {"Every one say cheese" There is even much talk about the need for Fluoride in the Coral Calcium skeleton building process, ever notice how brittle coral growth is in captive tanks?...............Also the output effluent waste from an RODI is as clean as any hang on the faucet add on { Britta etc. }Water purifier.{ mech and Carbon} and or even a Coke can or ice tea from Taco bell? I even use it for my baby girls formula milk.......( just kidding}

wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a barracuda ro/di. i have a t connector switch installed before the ro water runs thru the di filter. i get the ro for drinking, ro/di for the reef.

pupeluv

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the benefit of buying an OR made for tank use instead of a regular one? Are they cheaper or do you not want the bacteria sterilized?

Deep Sixx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tlc:
<STRONG>as for r/o waste. dont even want to go there...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever. RO waste water way better quality than tap water. It's been through a carbon filter and a mechanical filter. It's all my family drinks. I run the waste into 5 gallon jugs for our cooler and the aquarium gets the RO/DI stuff. That way I get RO/DI water for my aquarium with none wasted.

There's nothing wrong with RO waste water.

D6

stuart c

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dolphin , barracuda, purity on tap, Kent- its all a branding con - the majority of membranes and carbon blocks are made by just a couple of firms and all work the same- you pay big $ for kent or whoever to put their sticker on the side and sell it in a fancy box.
stuart

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain why there is the supposition that putting water into your body is bad for you? The water that comes out of my body is water, I suck up the salts that are left, that way I don't need to salt my food.
icon_biggrin.gif

reefmack

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i heard drinking RO/DI water on a regular basis (say... a glass a day?) will add 10-15 years to your life... could be an urban reefers legend but who really knows for sure?

Grandczar

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use RO/DI water in a 50/50 mix with coolant on my vehichle? Will this add 10-15 years to its life?
These are the specs...
5.0L 89' Mustang LX
icon_biggrin.gif

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The term "waste" water is very misleading.

It's only considered "waste" as compared to the ultra pure, triple distilled water that you get out of your RO/DI unit.

Don't think of it as "waste" = "sewage"....

RO/DO "waste" water has been micron filtered, and micron carbon filtered... what more could you want?!

The "waste" water is more pure than the tap water.

-Nathan

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grandczar:

Since your car is a Ford, only an Engine, Drivetrain and hundreds of hours with talented mechanics could add 10-15 years to the life of your car! (BTW- I have an SHO)

I will second the bit about the "waste" water being better/purer than your tapwater. My only concern would be the fact that water sits in my RO unit for a week or so in my garage and could be a breeding ground for bacteria. I am sure that after running it for a while it would be safe.

Ernie

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: