Jon_Hewett_85

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sis definatly a post for the archives!! This will be very helpful to all the newbies and pros asking about MH bulbs
icon_wink.gif

dieselboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Nathan....those pics are invaluable! I think I know what I want to get now, thanks to you....
icon_smile.gif

Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great job man!! now we can tell what our lights will look like. easier to meet the needs of light searchers everywhere!!

thanks man
Lunchbucket

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is great Nathan. Since you have obviously spent a great deal of time doing this research and testing....have you noticed any significant growth with one setup Vs. another?

dmm32

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nathan

Nice work,agree with john, send them to chucker so other can view in the future.

David

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't mean to be negative, but I'm seeing a bright purple hippo tang. Is it just my PC? That would tend to be a problem if not, no?

Thanks
John

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
djp,

Actually, the hippo tang looks blue all the time under all these bulbs. The reason why it looks purple in the photos is because some blues cannot be represented with the RGB phosphors of digital cameras and monitors, so ultra violet blue ends up being protrayed as purple, which is not a true representation of the colour.

Study colour graphic design and paint to learn more about how limiting digital, and print media is! Our eyes can see far more colours than these medias can ever protray. That's one reason why origional art/paintings are worth more and are much more vibrant than any replication.

Myreef,

Well, I choose to run my tank with the Ushio since they are my favourite bulbs. The Iwasaki aren't too bad, but damn, that greenish tint sucks and I don't have the $$$$ for buying a bunch of actinics. Both of these bulbs make my corals blossom.

Hopefully when I send you that cheque for the dual chamber reactor I'll notice even more growth and better SPS colour.

-Nathan

Timbo1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post!! This is one of the best lighting comparisons yet. Maybe eventually we'll have something similar to this for all the different wattages and bulb configurations.

Once again, great job!

Tim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone actually using this BB for a really good deed.

Great Job.

jdvalero

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are not worthy ....we are not worthy!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Damn Nathan.....Great job man....No question...Iwasaki's must go supplemented with Actinics. Sunburst and Blueline are out of question for me

How far are the bulbs from the water surface?

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: jdvalero ]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nathan,

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm trying to understand. Are you saying that the lights make the fish different colors that the camera cannot pick up? I've never heard of this. For example, I've never seen anyone post a pic of a blue damsel that was purple. If a blue damsel was under taht light, it would show up purple too?

Thanks,
John
icon_smile.gif

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DJP:

It has to do with the setting on the camera, and the fact that the images were not adjusted for color balance nor brightness/contrast/Intensity, etc.

Ernie

rudy99

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nathan

Great job,and perfect timing,i was just needing to replace my bulbs,i like the Ushio,now to find them on sale.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks and again great job.

Rudy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you people are going to think I'm a pain, but...

If what you're saying about camera settings not being adjusted, etc., is the cause, then how can that be an accurate representation of the lighting? Tell me the light actually turns the fish purple, ok. Tell me the camera does it and I'm going to assume the camera is misrepresenting the quality of the light as well since it is not getting the fish properly.

Of course I appreciate Nathan's efforts, and I don't mean to be a ball buster, but I can't yet understand how a picture where the camera or some other step between taking the picture and posting it here makes the fish so much the wrong color can be seen as an accurate representation of the actual lighting color.

John
icon_smile.gif

Mabu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The USHIO's look the best to me. But that may just be the 10k spectrum - I would like to see what 20ks look like. What does everyone think given the images?

KUDOS - thanks for taking the time to document this for all of us! Very much appreciated!

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The value is the comparison. The yellow level is probably as close to true-to life, which is what most people look to avoid.

On my tank, I have to greatly adjust the color balance to make it seem true to life.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John

I will try and if I am wrong, I am sure 10 people will correct me.

By not allowing the camera to compensate for anything I think all he is trying to do is show intensity of light without the camera compenstaing for color and therefore also changing the look of intensity.

How digatals do all this, you will have to ask someone else. That is just how I seen this.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: