ATJ

Old Sea Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Richard,
You article showed some interesting and valuable results and should prove useful in the various reefer discussions about lamp orientaton. However, I have some reservations on the disregard of manufacturer's recommendations on buring position, in particular with regard to the exhaust tip (nipple). I use BLV DE lamps, and the recommendation on the box and on their site (see PDF available from BLV) states categorically that the "exhaust tip on the inner discharge lamp should not point downwards".

I have heard it stated by electrical engineers that burning these lamps in the incorrect position could lead to explosion of the lamp and this could cause injury to anyone in the vicinity.

Super Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's two photos that document Ushios recommendations (taken off the lamp packaging):

directions1.jpg

directions2.jpg

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Leonard ]</p>

rharker

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AJT:

Keep in mind that I was evaluating single ended bulbs and I also emphasized that bulbs should be burned as they were designed. As you point out, there are issues with orientation with double ended bulbs. Specifically, double ended bulbs are designed to be burned in the horizontal position.

Fact remains, however, that the arc will still burn as in a single ended bulb mounted horizontally.

Leonard, I haven't evaluated double ended bulbs to determine why Ushio recommends that the nipple be mounted in the up position. I suspect that it isn't the nipple itself as much as it is the supporting wires. Some manufacturers focus the beam with external wires, and according to their diagram, the external wires are inverted when the nipple is pointing down. Only a guess, but not out of the question.

Richard Harker

tatuvaaj

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that 250W HQI DE lamps can be installed only in one position. My AB 10KK pulps have two nipples, one in the inside tube and one in the outer. The inner nipple is facing to front (90 deg. angle) and the outer nipple (which is not placed in the middle of the tube but rather about 1/3 from the right hand of the bulp) is facing downwards.

rharker

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tatuvaaj:
<strong>My AB 10KK pulps have two nipples, one in the inside tube and one in the outer. The inner nipple is facing to front (90 deg. angle) and the outer nipple (which is not placed in the middle of the tube but rather about 1/3 from the right hand of the bulp) is facing downwards.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Can you post a photo of this?

Richard Harker

tatuvaaj

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here goes. Nipple facing normally downwards is facing towards viewer. Let me know if you need more pictures.

CRW_1904.jpg

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: tatuvaaj ]</p>

rharker

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tatuvaaj:
<strong>Here goes. Nipple facing normally downwards is facing towards viewer. Let me know if you need more pictures.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the picture. There is a nipple for the outer envelope and a second for the inner envelope. The nipple for the inner envelope is the issue. The outer nipple shouldn't have any effect.

Richard Harker

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: