How many people have actually SEEN a klaes skimmer before?

• I own one!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've seen one before the AAOLM article

• I've never seen one before.

• What's a Klaes skimmer?

• Who cares!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joe Kelley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly looks good. We just need someone to take the plunge and buy one. What is the going price? I know that Caroline from MASLAC has an old one that she loves. It is huge, 8"dia and almost 6' tall. The original pump burned out and she replaced it with a quiet one. It would be neat to DIY a pump and wet end combo like that to retro fit her skimmer. Excellent issue this month! Thanks everyone,

Joe

Brad Ward

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James,

Back in 94/95 we ordered 4 of the 5 foot models that utilized conventional 1-1/2" venturi from this company that were powered by Iwaki 100RLT's. They were good skimmers for the 1500 gallon exhibits at the DWA. We also had the 3 footer reviewed by Richard and set it up on a 100 gallon tank. It is still running today.

The 3 footer footprint is small, and it does skim pretty good, but I wouldn't say any better that the other skimmers Richard mentioned in his article. And, like the Euro-reef, it does have that proprietary pump which if it goes bad could be a problem.

Brad

andy-hipkiss

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, coming in very very late on this thread. I own the 1.7m (5') version. Good skimmer. The "best" .. who knows, but certainly very effective. Not as plug and play as say a Deltec (which is like an Euroreef on steroids it seems ... ), but debatably more effective. From what I've seen of the installation procedures of many American skimmers it's maybe a little easier, maybe not.

If you already have a good skimmer I wouldn't ditch it and buy an ATK, if you are looking for a good skimmer then certainly one to bear in mind. Perhaps ordering for one of the German online shops might prove cheaper than via the US distributor (??). They are available (for example) from http://www.aquaristic.net which is where I bought mine.

FWIW

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: