A

Anonymous

i have a leather coral and i put phosphate remover in my skimmer for about a week the leather closed up so i moved it to another tank that's not as brightly lit the 55 has 2 96 pc's the 10 has 2 NO 6500 k it didn't help so i moved it back to the 55 but it still doesn't open and it has algae growing on it how do i get the algae off without damaging it

A

Anonymous

phosphate removers will cause leathers to close up.rub algae off wth finger tip.blow off with turkey baster.Remove resins,do waterchange give leather a chance to recover

A

Anonymous

If the phosphate remover was aluminum oxide (e.g., Phosguard) then you should rinse it prior to use. Some fine bits break off in manufacture and shipping, and get out into the tank if not rinsed out. These bits then irritate some corals, like leathers.

------------------
Randy Holmes-Farley

A

Anonymous

yes it was phosguard and i only used it a week and yes i rinsed it before use i have taken it out like a week ago

[This message has been edited by arnjer (edited 29 December 1999).]

A

Anonymous

one of my leathers did the same thing (closed up and algea grew on top of it). Except I did nothing different to make this happen. After about a week it opened back up on its own without me doing anything to it. It seems fine now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: