A

Anonymous

i've just seen some of the most beautiful tanks while surfing and the owners claim they don't skim at all. much live rock and a power hang on filter for circulation. animals look great. and regular fluoresents. i'm gonna have to think about this. and i'm talking 20 gal tank. with mix sps and soft corals. wow, there's hope for us on a budget.

A

Anonymous

budget's and reef tanks don't go together.....sorry
smile.gif

------------------
see my tank at
members.xoom.com/golfish1/reef.htm

A

Anonymous

Yes reef tanks and low budgets don't go together, unfortunately, however it can be done. In a small shallow tank regular output flourescents will alow you to keep a wide range of coral animals. I know I'm going to get some member here spouting "Metal halides or VHO is all corals will live under!!!" and with large tanks and especially ones with sps corals that is true, however every expert will agree small tanks can be lit with regular output flourescents as long as there is enough of them. You will need at least four 20 watt bulbs over the 20 gallon tank, preferably with reflectors. My 20 gallon reef is lit with that lighting scheme and grows many soft and LPS corals in it. My xenia has tripled in size in 5 months in this tank. I would never dream of placing sps corals in the tank however, so you'll have to give up that idea. Luckily soft coral and LPS corals can make a stunning display. The no skimmer aspect I'm not sure about, possibly with no fish in the tank. If you want a few small fish in the tank you'll need something to pull the organics out of the water. I happen to be a fan of the "less techonolgy more biology" reef keeping school of thought. As a full time college student with a job I don't exactly have that much time and money to spend on a technologically advanced gigantic reef setup, small and natural works if you know what you are doing. E-mail me if you have any more questions or if you want specifics on my tank. Hope this helps.

------------------
Neptune

A

Anonymous

I currently have 2 reef tanks, one with a skimmer and one without. tha tank without a skimmer is my son's science project. The idea is to have a lot of caulerpa to filter the excess nutrients out of the water. This tank is a 10 gal. with 2 fish and many lps and soft corals. If you use macro algae prune it regularly. It can over grow the tank quick if left alone. I am usually pruning it at least once a week. The tank has grape and feather caulerpa, red fern, and halmeida. The water parameters are great in this tank. Never any ammonia or nitrite, and because of the 4 inch sand bed the nitates are less than 10.

James

A

Anonymous

I think the answer is simple. The amount of organics, doc,s,nutrients or whatever we want to call them, must be equally exported as much is imported to the tank.
The method of export can be whatever, as long as it keeps up to the input. It can be skimming, algae tanks, scrubbers, sand beds, water changes or a combination of these.
The more food, fish waste, etc. you have in your tank the more of the above methods you need to remove them.
Check out some of Dr. Shimek,s articles along this line.
Doug

A

Anonymous

that was my point. to many are putting a big emphasis on skimmer and skimmer quality. water changes would do a better job. as long as organics are removed from the water, what difference the method. what happened to ozone. it's just a fad that went out. i believe in GARF and Tom Miller and many others that keep it simple.

A

Anonymous

Well actually ozone is still one of the best ways to remove some impurities especially yellowing of the water. Many are going back to it instead of using carbon.
I never did believe much in Millers tanks. I would like to see one after a few years to believe it works first. There have been no updates on his site for a year.
The same goes for Goemans and his ideas. Nothing wrong with a plenum but all the upkeep and equipment he uses would keep any tank and method working. The same for Leng and his mud, he still uses large water changes,etc.
Skimming is a very effective ways to remove organics, provide oxygen and the best way along with kalk to remove PO4.
But you are right in that is not the only way of keeping a reef tank. A 20 certainly is small enough that it can be looked after with water changes alone. Even better if you include some types of calerpas in your tank that you can prune now and then also removes nutrients. Good luck with your 20.
Doug

A

Anonymous

If it wasn't for the advancement in aquarium technologies, especially skimmers, most of us would not be in this "hobby" for long. In addition, captive survival rates would be worse than they are now.

Yes, there are people going without skimmers. Most of them have alot of experience, know immediately if things are going bad and have well established tanks. 10 to 1 says they all have immediate access to a skimmer if they need it. I still have my O3 generator and UV sterilizer sitting in the closet.

Since you are gong to attempt to mix SPS and softies in a 20 gallon tank you should use a skimmer. However, the choice is entirely up to you. Keeping it simple is admirable... cyanobacteria is not
smile.gif

------------------
Eric
customer.wcta.net/emcreef

A

Anonymous

Well said Eric. If it was me I would do as Mark says and have the best of both worlds. For a small tank I think for just over a $100 you cant beat a bacpac skimmer. They skim well, are good construction, provide lots of oxygen and give you a place with the biobale out to put your carbon and heater.
Doug

A

Anonymous

i have to reply to everyone and answer my own question. i have been through the high tech method of ozone, tests, skimmers, hot metal halide( great but the heat ). I was always fighting nitrates. 10ppm was the norm. now with plemum i don't get a reading. I'm experimenting with pc lighting and little skimming. I see more life in the sand now. phospate remover shriveled up my leather, but it's comming back and color in the polyps is back. colt coral i put in 2 weeks ago looks like it grew already. candy coral was almost a gonna from the heat wave is comming back. so i will continue with my experiment.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: