• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ncosper

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I'd chime in to help a little before you message was lost to the 2nd page
icon_smile.gif
. I'm by no means an expert, but I'll give you some base info that I remember. They are not reefsafe along with all other non-pygmy angels. They also need a substantial portion of their diet in plant matter, Macro's, nori, etc. And they are solitary animals, not schooling with others. They also need a very large tank considering their adult size. Most likely if your asking if its reef safe, I would avoid the fish. Possibly go with a pygmy angel or if you have a large enough tank, ie 125+ you might want to try a tang.....

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you're referring to a Koran Angelfish (Pomacanthus semicirculatus). They range from the Indian Ocean (and all the way to the Red Sea) to the Indo-Pacific. P.semicirculatus is a bottom dweller that doesn't wander far from the substrate. As I remember, they feed on algae when they're juveniles, but as they mature, they'll consume sponges and corals. Keep in mind they get to about 18" long, so you'll need a monster of a tank to house one. I wouldn't consider them reefsafe, though, like P.asfur, it isn't completely impossible to keep one in a reef; it just depends on how much you're willing to gamble. My recommendation: unless you've got a 180+ galllon tank and don't mind lossing some LPS and soft corals, I'd avoid this species.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, they don't school. They're very aggressive towards congenors, and will rip apart any conspecifics. If you keep more two in one tank, you'll quickly have one dead Koran Angel.

Dragonlady

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the Koran angelfish(Pomacanthus semicirculatus)? If so:
They are territorial and are omnivores.
They grow to 15-16 inches. Juveniles have a much different color pattern than the adult fish. The markings on the transitional juvenile resemble Arabic characters in the Koran. They would do well in a large tank, but would be quite risky in a reef tank.
icon_rolleyes.gif
I have a juvenile Pomacanthus imperator angel in my reef tank with NO invertebrate losses. It does munch on the occasional sponge, but they always grow back for me. There are still numerous sponges in my tank. Mine prefers commercial angelfish foods and micro/macro algae, probably because I purchased it at a very small 1 1/2 inches. They seem to grow fast though. My angelfish has more than doubled in size.
icon_biggrin.gif

bgdiving

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Koran angle in my 170 reef. it dosesn't seem to bother the SPS's, leathers (sarcophytons) and leaves most of the mushrooms alone. The Pom Pom Xenias do fine also except if I chop one of their heads off then the Koran possishs off the stalk had the same problem with a couple of other things I propped in the tank if I nicked the flesh of the trumpet the Koran would then start picking at it. I presently have a hammer that is doing ok so far (6 wks) but the Koran destroyed an elagance and later forced me to remove a lobayphia. The Koran is a beatiful fish but will limit what you can keep in the tank especially LPSs.

I'm wondering if I can add bright green stars to this tank any one have any experience or knowledge re: Koran angles and green stars??

loonz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about the Koran angel,i have a juvenile (abt 3") in my 65g for nearly a year.It hasnt bothered any of the shrooms,polyps,leathers,xenia,bubble,hammer nor plate coral in the tank so far.I think the trick is to keep it well-fed.Cheers..
icon_biggrin.gif

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leonard:
<STRONG>As I remember, they feed on algae when they're juveniles, but as they mature, they'll consume sponges and corals.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

loonz,

I just confirmed this, so I'd be watchful of your Koran's eating habits as it grows. But by that time, a 12" angelfish will probably be too big for your 65 gallon anyhow.

loonz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leonard - thanks for the tip. I'd be watchful of him.And i do intend on a real big tank in the future...let's hope mine stays a juvenile for the time being.Any idea how long it takes for a 3" to reach adulthood?I reckon i'd have to start saving..
icon_smile.gif

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure how fast your P.semicirculatus will grow; it's highly dependent on the individual, and the physical and chemical conditions of your tank. Large angels like Pomacanthus sp. usually grow fairly quickly to subadulthood, then slow their growth rate down after morphing. If fed a good diet, I'd guess your 3" angel (which should be reaching adulthood soon, if not already) will double in size in under 2 years (operative word: guess)
icon_smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: