Scion_TC2005

RALLIART 2009
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Just curious to how many MR folks have more than one show size Angels in ther aquarium. I currently have an about 8" Queen Angel and I want to add a Emperator Angel to the mix but I am afraid they may fight. My Queen doesn't bother any of my other fishes and they range in sizes.

Regards,

Tim

michael stern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
112   1   0
I always keep a bunch of angels in my tank (420), and I have a lot of customers who do likewise.

Depends how big your tank is, and I'd avoid keeping 2 angels.
Stick with one, or go to three or more.
Once you hit 3, depending on tank size, typically the more you have the better.

Bikinisalt

Always Overfeeding
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
One of my favorite topics(Large Angels). Well I have a 10" Queen Angel, 10" French Angel, 8" Koran Angel, 6" Majestic Angel, 7" Maculosus Angel, 6" Asfur Angel, 3" Singaore Angel, 6" Blue face Angel living in a 190G tank somewhat peacefully for the exception of the Queen who chases the French and the Majestic during feeding but no serious attacks. The French does fight back and the Majestic just runs, however soon I plan to subdivide them between another 190G, 120G and possibly a 90G which I would like to just put the Queen in by herself. In my case my Queen is the tuff one and was fine until she got larger. It also depends on what size tank you intend to keep the fish. I would not go smaller then a 120G IMO.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It really depends on what Angels your trying to keep together. Some Angels are very aggressive while others aren't. Some also need to be the top Angel in the tank or they don't do well. A lot also depends on the size of the tank, most large Angels need a good deal of swimming room, not to mention they get large, so a 6'+ tank is needed.

As for keeping more than one Angel together, you can easily keep two together without a problem, this is not like say Yellow Tangs where you need to keep 3 or more together to stop them fighting among themselves.

Since the Queens is fairly large, 8" and will get a lot lager and can be very aggressive, I would get a smaller Emperator. They will fight some what but in time there will develop a pecking order between the Angels. You need to make sure the tank is large enough and has hiding spaces.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
One of my favorite topics(Large Angels). Well I have a 10" Queen Angel, 10" French Angel, 8" Koran Angel, 6" Majestic Angel, 7" Maculosus Angel, 6" Asfur Angel, 3" Singaore Angel, 6" Blue face Angel living in a 190G tank somewhat peacefully for the exception of the Queen who chases the French and the Majestic during feeding but no serious attacks. The French does fight back and the Majestic just runs, however soon I plan to subdivide them between another 190G, 120G and possibly a 90G which I would like to just put the Queen in by herself. In my case my Queen is the tuff one and was fine until she got larger. It also depends on what size tank you intend to keep the fish. I would not go smaller then a 120G IMO.

I posted about this before and this is not a good idea. The long term success is very bad to keep so many large fish together in such a small tank.

Bikinisalt

Always Overfeeding
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I posted about this before and this is not a good idea. The long term success is very bad to keep so many large fish together in such a small tank.

I personally had all the angels I listed above in a 125G, yes most did start as juvi's, however I sold that tank and transfered them into a 190G on a temp basis to see who I might keep and who I might get rid of.

I purchase two 190G for the intentions of dividing the angels, giving my Queen her own tank a 90G and putting 3 into one 190G and three into another and I still have another 50G and 120G if I needed to divide and single out further.

So what do you consider the smallest tank for two angels to live together? and I don't think a 190G is small for three angels to live together, do you?

michael stern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
112   1   0
It really depends on what Angels your trying to keep together. Some Angels are very aggressive while others aren't. Some also need to be the top Angel in the tank or they don't do well. A lot also depends on the size of the tank, most large Angels need a good deal of swimming room, not to mention they get large, so a 6'+ tank is needed.

As for keeping more than one Angel together, you can easily keep two together without a problem, this is not like say Yellow Tangs where you need to keep 3 or more together to stop them fighting among themselves.

Since the Queens is fairly large, 8" and will get a lot lager and can be very aggressive, I would get a smaller Emperator. They will fight some what but in time there will develop a pecking order between the Angels. You need to make sure the tank is large enough and has hiding spaces.

I disagree.
Doing the 2 angels together, they might fight forever.
The larger queen might continuously beat down the emperor.

I stick with my 3 or more suggestion.

Bikinisalt

Always Overfeeding
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I disagree.

I agree with Michael on this. When I just had two angels in my 125G they would sometimes get into fights and as I started to add more, they settled down a little, a little fight here and there but not like it was in the beginning. I think after a while they get confused and don't know who to go after. In my case my Queen does not let down. The others no problems together.

And to top it off there is a Large Naso, Unicorn Tang and Vlaming Tang living with them and they also don't bother with each other...

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I personally had all the angels I listed above in a 125G, yes most did start as juvi's, however I sold that tank and transfered them into a 190G on a temp basis to see who I might keep and who I might get rid of.

I purchase two 190G for the intentions of dividing the angels, giving my Queen her own tank a 90G and putting 3 into one 190G and three into another and I still have another 50G and 120G if I needed to divide and single out further.

So what do you consider the smallest tank for two angels to live together? and I don't think a 190G is small for three angels to live together, do you?
It depends on the Angels, a 6'+ is the really the smallest for the larger Angel. As for keeping 3 Large Angels in a 190g tank, well it depends on the foot print of the tank and the Angels that you plan on keeping together.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I disagree.

By putting 3 Angels together is not going to stop the fighting or one Angel for picking on another one. A pecking order will develop between the two Angels, just like it will develop between 3 or even more Angels.

Just like with Tangs and Triggers there will always be some fighting or one Angel being more aggressive than the others.

Bikinisalt

Always Overfeeding
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Scions question is that he wants to add an emperor angel with an already established Queen. IMO I don't think it is going to work, maybe if he adds the Emperor and another angel at the sametime and depending on the size of the tank and I am saying min size a 120G(48X24X24).

Scion_TC2005

RALLIART 2009
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Scions question is that he wants to add an emperor angel with an already established Queen. IMO I don't think it is going to work, maybe if he adds the Emperor and another angel at the sametime and depending on the size of the tank and I am saying min size a 120G(48X24X24).
Thank You Bikinisalt for getting back to my orginal question, lol, Thanks all for all your input much appreciated!!. My current tank is a 90 Gallon. My new tank is in my parents Florida Estate still under construction it will be plenty of room for everyone once my family moves. 300 Plus gallons nearing 400 gallons can't wait!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: