Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:welcome:
Welcome to the new Reefs.org Discussion Forums!

The new bulletin board features a host of major improvements, including:
1. A new, powerful, fast, well-organized, and full function search engine, available to all members 24/7.
2. An advanced private messaging system, allowing for attachments, forwarding messages, and sending messages to multiple members (including blind carbon copies).
3. Smart content formatting (no more long links or over-sized images breaking website layout).
4. Subscribe to threads as well as bookmark topics. Subscribe to forums too!
5. Friends and Foe (ignore member) functionality. Add any member you wish to ignore in your Foe's list (located in your user control panel).
6. RSS forum feeds.
7. Easily report posts that need the attention of administrators/moderators
8. Faster navigation, posting and editing times.

You will also notice the following icons located throughout the index page: News, Site map, RSS feed, and Sitemap. These links are there for search engine optimization (SEO). With the exception of the RSS link (use this to help set up your RSS forum feeds), they serve little other function and should be ignored.

Be sure to update your browser's bookmarks to http://www.reefs.org/forums/ . The old links will redirect to this new URL.

If you have any questions or encounter any issues with the new software, please contact [email protected]. The new software and migration was thoroughly beta-tested to insure a smooth transition.

---------------------------------------------------------

We invite all clubs, societies, vendors, LFS, and manufacturers to make Reefs.org your home for forums. Reefs.org offers companies and organizations more functionality than any other online community:

1. Moderate your own forums (no need to rely on outside staff for everyday administration).
2. Choose up to three subforums to compliment your main forum. For example, create a "For Sale," "Announcement," and "Meetings and Events" subforums to organize your forum activity.
3. Clubs and societies: announce your events on Reefs.org's homepage. Vendors and LFS: announce your sales and promotions on Reefs.org's homepage. Manufacturers: announce your new products on Reefs.org's homepage.

Forums and announcements are free to clubs, societies, and non-profit organizations. Commercial forums and announcements are only available to advertising sponsors. Please contact [email protected] for more information.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI: We are working on the "Quick Reply" mod. This might take some time, so you will have to post the old fashioned way for now ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What! Are we friggin-left handed now? The avatars are on the wrong side. :? :? :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, you don't have to be logged in to access the Sump. The added functions are really nice (editing is much easier) 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way to change the color??.......everything is REALLY pale on my screen.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to find a style or edit that moves the profiles back to the right. I think it's just what we got used to. The profile info really isn't important (lacks any useful or new info) if you think about it, and moving it to the right (where it is read last) makes some logical sense. But I'll do what members want me to do :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":1za6deq9 said:
But I'll do what members want me to do :)

As long as it isn't showing a picture of your tank ;).

Looking good. I do prefer the avatars on the left, but other then that, things are pretty slick.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the suggestions coming. We're looking into all of it. FWIW, the right-sided metadata (e.g. profiles) seems to be the way most things are going. Left-sided metadata is what we're all used to but seems to be phasing out.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recognize there is a cookie tracking problem when you exit your browser. The system tracks people perfectly if they don't close their browser and session, but people have to log back in when they restart their browser/session. We're looking for a fix right now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":32dn5va7 said:
Keep the suggestions coming. We're looking into all of it. FWIW, the right-sided metadata (e.g. profiles) seems to be the way most things are going. Left-sided metadata is what we're all used to but seems to be phasing out.

That's what happens when we outsource the software to a country that writes from right to left. Of course you want the metawhateveritisCommaderData on the left. It automatically tells you who posted what, for those that read left to right. It also tells you without actually reading the post, your chances at seeing boobies. The amount of sexual undertones. Political correctness. Or just plain idiocy, that may exist in that post. And you haven't even read the post yet. It also serves to help speed up the forum if you already know who posted it. Whether or not you need, or want to read it.

Look at this post. Since my avatar is on the right. Everyone will read this post. Usually, nobody reads mosts of my posts. :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I just noticed, now we can see when people joined the board down to the hour and minute! :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a page that shows what all the symbols for messages mean? I, figured out which one goes to the first unread message, but there's red ones, ones with "words" (lines) that move up, etc..

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red icons mean unread posts. The ones that scroll simply means it's an active (over 20 post) thread. The old phpBB had different icons for active threads too, but it was more subtle (no animation).

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bucolic Buffalo":11ozd87m said:
Len":11ozd87m said:

That's what happens when we outsource the software to a country that writes from right to left. Of course you want the metawhateveritisCommaderData on the left. It automatically tells you who posted what, for those that read left to right. It also tells you without actually reading the post, your chances at seeing boobies. The amount of sexual undertones. Political correctness. Or just plain idiocy, that may exist in that post. And you haven't even read the post yet. It also serves to help speed up the forum if you already know who posted it. Whether or not you need, or want to read it.

Look at this post. Since my avatar is on the right. Everyone will read this post. Usually, nobody reads mosts of my posts. :P

phpBB3 is mostly an American open source product. Americans may not get used to it, so I'll see about what we can do with a different style/template. It's my hunch that people just aren't used to it yet, but it'll be an non-issue if you gave it a try for just a week. The metadata actually tells you very little (unless you really really want to know someone's post count :P). Above each post, it already indicates who posted it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: