A

Anonymous

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know it was a gross overgeneralization, they just aren't my cup of tea. (It may have more to with me trying to get my customers interested in the nice stuff, only to have ignore them all in favor of the mbunas.) :P

A

Anonymous

another fave

Attachments

• discus2.jpg
    discus2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 252
  • discus1a.jpg
    discus1a.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 250
A

Anonymous

Ya know, I'd have to say that it was my fascination with archer fish that got me interested in aquaria in the first place. Good call. :)

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my 7 discus are pretty cool! Besides, they are the only freshwater fish I have these days. I had some neon tetras, but the discus ate them!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well SM ive never actually owned an archer fish in my fish keeping career, ive never really come across one, but i would love to have one, very interesting...same with mudskippers....another fish i would like to own and have a setup for :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Archers are pretty neat fish, but it really pays off to have a biotope-type of setup. Something similar to what could also be done with arowana, with low-hanging branches from which bugs can hang onto so the fish can spit or git 'em off.

I can't recollect right off hand, but I do believe archers may be a brackish fish... don't hold me to that. They can also get kinda biggish. Good with monodactylus and the like. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
archer's are brackish

the really kewl thing about them is how they correct for water/air refraction for a better than 80% accuracy level-and if they miss the first strike, the 2nd or 3rd usually hits

mudskippers will get tame enough to hop onto your palm and scrub it w/a fairly strong nip as they gobble food up from off of it- a tank for them can easily be setup with a bulkhead drilled in the back at about 3-4" up from the bottom, and an elbowed pvc pipe going to a sump

leave the fittings hand tight, and not glued-from time to time, raise up the elbowed pipe in the back to raise the water level in the tank, for a nice wc after stirring the substrate up abit (they're messy eaters)

:)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I like comets and feeder mollies. I like them best because that is the only two type if fish I have in my pond. They are cool. The mollies are all different colors and some are highly irredescent. They are breeding machines too. Had a dozen and now I probably have a hundred, maybe more.

A kid at the LFS said that feeder mollies can be converted to SW and do a great job of keeping tanks clean, even ridding bad cases of hair algea. Anyone ever done that?

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey, your pond needs an arrowana and a bunch of hummingbird feeders.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw an Arawana at the National Aquarium in DC yesterday. I would think they would need a huge pond or tank to survive in.

Hummingbird feeders? I don't think I have ever seen a hummingbird in the state of Florida. I like they way you're thinking though.

methinks Rover is funning with me. :wink:

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking on fishbase, it seems that archers can swing from full fresh to reef-associated. They're just so COOL!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most brackish fish can do that

they most all stay far healthier in full saltwater as adults though

most of the brackish group tend to be found in fw environs as fry and juveniles, then migrate to sw as adults

i think mollies are prob'ly the species that most easily switches back and forth

fwiw

once a brackish fish IS switched or placed in sw, it's advisable to not switch it back-that often negatively affects the fish's overall health

monos (argenteus (sp?) ) are much more colorful and relaxed when kept in full sw as older juvenles/adults :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you should see the display at the LBAOP.

I thought that an influx of freshwater (simulating a rainy season) helps spur many brackish fish to spawn, though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mudskippers too are brackish...Arrowanas get fairly large so a large tank is recommended..i often see them sold only a couple inches long...SM youre right a biotope set-up is definetely beneficial to the Archer fish...Its neat to have a "niche" all to yourself...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of our local customers got her sw tank set up at the local "other" place. She eventually found us and came in asking questions about her tank and we found out that they had set her up with a RR 180 with the works, purple gravel and 6 large monos. Craziest thing we had ever seen.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: