A

Anonymous

my two Silver Dollars, Uday and Qusay, have a nasty tendancy to demolish/eat all my live plants..Grrr..I lost my swords and various other plants in my FW tank...Is there a way to correct this without removing the two hethen fish?

A

Anonymous

They are vegetarian fish! Sewing their mouth shut is the only way to prevent it. :wink:

A

Anonymous

sounds like a tank that needs a refugium to me.

Thanks for the heads up on silver dollars.

A

Anonymous

DanConnor":2n20dfuu said:
They are vegetarian fish!
Amongst other things(terrorists really)...I know they're vegetarians, I was hoping to curb this somehow...I though maybe algae disks or something along the lines of that?? any thoughts

A

Anonymous

You could try an in tank refugium. Just partition with an egg crate (light diffuser) so that the silver dollars are on one side and the plant life is on the other. That works great with my 55g with macros and a yellow tang. But it may be more of a problem with vascular FW plants.

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":bqvglamd said:
You could try an in tank refugium. Just partition with an egg crate (light diffuser) so that the silver dollars are on one side and the plant life is on the other. That works great with my 55g with macros and a yellow tang. But it may be more of a problem with vascular FW plants.

Yeah but in-tank refugiums are butt-ugly. :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being the same family as pirahnas they are hungry beasts.

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to feed them veggies and such, some of my fish that nibble on certain plants seem to slow down when I feed them cucumber and other veggies but I don't know about silver dollars. You may be best off using plants they don't eat.

Giancarlo

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed them to your anemone in your reef tank while listening to "The Cycle Of Life".

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Nikon. I had to replace most of my plants with Java fern. The silver d's nip at the new growth but the plants survive. There are several types of j/f . Andy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LordNikon":2j17i3e9 said:
Uh this is fresh water Fish :wink:
Nikon":2j17i3e9 said:
...Is there a way to correct this without removing the two hethen fish?

Uh I asume if you are a member of Reefs.org you have both. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish":2swdssaz said:
Uh I asume if you are a member of Reefs.org you have both
Come on now, you and I both know that isnt necessarily true to have either or, or both.. :wink:
Thanks for the advice :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LordNikon":1oi2ylyt said:
Fish":1oi2ylyt said:
Uh I asume if you are a member of Reefs.org you have both
Come on now, you and I both know that isnt necessarily true to have either or, or both.. :wink:
Thanks for the advice :D

It was a joke to begin with.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: