janey

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Hi all.
Starting my tank build again.
Question: I just built an overflow box . Not sure if i should put some teeth into it? was thinking of having the waterflow in with a top and an 1/2" opening.
I have a 1 1"1/2 hole/ the box is 9" long x 3" wide x 7 " height. I'm also thinking of running a 1" down into for my 4 way Ocean Motion.
\ what do you think ???

On the Oceanmotion in the pic i was gonna reduce from 1" to 3/4 , but read that i shouldn't so I'll be running it with a 1".

Just testing here/ The pipe will be buried and Hopefully not seen..

Sumbub

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
If you're burying the pipe on the bottom of the tank, wouldn't it drain the tank in the event of a power outage? Unless that is the return.

Last edited:

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
No teeth, just set the overflow where you want the water level to go. Teeth just cut down on surface skimmer and if you are concerned about fish getting in just cover the overflow with some netting. Also regarding the comment above you want your returns placed as high as possible so that when you power off your sump can handle the water draining through them.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
If you're running the return over the back like that you'll be fine, just drill an anti siphon hole near the water line in each pipe. If the power goes out of the pump fails, air will get into the lines and stop the back flow pretty quickly.

+1 on that. All my return loclines are very deep in my 80 gallon rimless tank. I drilled holes (a few) up high and I tested it a bunch of times and it works flawlessly.

janey

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Ok, Got it. The 1st 2 pipes will run under the sand in the middle and the next 2 pipes on Top at the end. This is my 110 penisula . I'm finsihing up on the new 20 amp with 2 switches.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: