nycfishy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
About 3 weeks ago a bought a nice size torch along with some other frags for my tank. Within 5 days the torch was gone, just a skeleton. Rest of the frags (some zoa's, an acan, and clove coral are doing great)

This Weekend I bought another torch and couple of other frags, just a single head torch this time. By Monday it was all shriveled up and had lots of dead flesh, moved it to another area of tank a bit higher up (was attached to rock on bottom) and by Tuesday it was gone...just some dead flesh my peppermint shrimp was having a feast on. Everything else is doing well and growing

Tank is 1 RSM130d, tunze skimmer, LED lights, and running GFO/Carbon in external reactor.
temp is 78
salinity 1.025
phosphate .12 ppm
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 2 (might be 20 and I recorded wrong)
Ca- 425
mg- 1360
kH- 9
CUC- hermits, peppermints and assorted snails
fish chromis, clown pair, and 2 firefish

any ideas?

nycfishy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Here is a picture of him. Can you guys confirm peppermint.
and can one shrimp really eat that much. That first torch was a really nice size and it was gone in a few days.

Attachments

• SHRIMP.jpg
    SHRIMP.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 61

carlpica

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches are finicky, as are most euphyllia in my experience. Could have been flow or lighting issue as well. What was the placement? Also sometimes skeletons can get damaged in transit. If you see one at an LFS that you like it's probably a good idea to see if they can hold it for a few weeks before you take it home. I don't think the shrimp would kill it that quickly (although prolonged irritation can eventually kill them), it was probably just feasting on the dead/dying flesh. Do you have other LPS in the tank?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: