bertyboy69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
hey guys came across this when searching for some new things to print.
now i dont have a seahorse tank, dont really know how to care for them to be honest, but it seemed cool to me and figured i would share it with you guys and tell me if you thing its cool and worth while or useless!

If its something worth wile i can print some for someone to try it out !

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:23804/#instructions

seems like he copied the idea from here interesting photo makes me want seahorses!
http://www.aquariumtechnik.at/SPA1000DE.html

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
I would just be careful with using some of the plastics that are used with 3d printers. While the plastic itself is a bio plastic, and the same type that is used in pellet reactors, the dyes used may end up being harmful to your tank.
Just food for thought.

bertyboy69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
The plastic is safe , i print strictly in abs plastic , pla is food based but biodegradable so no good for saltwater but abs is the same abs used to make bulkheads if you were really skeptical you could coat it in epoxy
But i have used 3d printed parts right iff the printer in my tank for 2 to 3 mo ths with no ill effects

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reefs

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Did you mention your usage of ABS in your initial post?
If you did and I missed it completely then it's my mistake, however you did not mention using it. Like I did mention as well that the plastic like that is a bio plastic... Yes PLA in its raw form pelletized it is the same as what is used as bio pellet media. So there would be no problems using it in a tank except for the fact that it would end up feeding bacteria as a carbon source as it breaks down.

bertyboy69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
No sorry i didnt mention it , i really wanted more opinions on if the actual feeder itself if it was useful , i believe there was already a thread on here about 3d printing materials not sure if it was here or another forum but personally i have no problem using 3d printer parts in my tank , idk if any1 has ever used pla in thier tank i wouldnt think so though because of the fact tgat it would degrade
Theres actually a company santa monica printing algae scrubbers not sure what material hes using but i would assume just abs. I actually found some designs for an algae scrubber that im going to print and give a try on my larger tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: