• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
wassup guys.......i just recently started to use distilled water to mix the salt.....but after i left it for half a day...i came home and find the container and powerhead i was using had a white film all over........anyone came across this problem?......should i still use the water or mix a new batch?......i realized the powerhead was a little weak...so increased the flow...and see if the film goes away.....please help....i need to change the water in my 10 gallon before i head up to philly for a week......

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
im using instant ocean salt...the container is clean...i cleaned it before i use it every time.....the thing is that i never had a problem when i used tap water and dechlorinate it....the water turn clear in less than an hour after i put the salt in.....

wxl14

Wexel
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the seachem ph buffer too same set up you had and it makes it cloudy. to much seachem to little water. When you put it into your tank the cloudiness will disappear within the hour.

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
oh man.....too late though cuz i just poured evrything into the toilet and went back to my old salt mixing method.....but this time i used less seachem buffer....the water stays clear.......i guess next week ...ill try using distilled water again with less seachem buffer also.....
i might have added way too much seachem buffer because the container has a white film and i cant seem to wash it off unless i scrape it with my nail..:irked:

Last edited:

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
what im guessing so far is that i put too much buffer into the mixing bucket......the container only hold a little more than 1 gallon.....ill try again next week......i really need to get a r/o

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
to keep my ph at 8.3-8.4....

I guess my point is... what was the PH of the water after you freshly mixed it. What was your alkalinity? I know that when I mix IO with RO/DI water that it has a PH of about 8.7. There may have been no reason for you to add the buffer to freshly made water.

Buffers work by increasing the alkalinity. Alkalinity, Clacium and PH levels are all interconnected and an increase in one can lead to a sudden decrease in the other. If Alkalinity or PH goes to high, Calcium can percipitate out of the water. This may look like a white film that settles in the bucket or in your tank.

gettanked

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wassup guys.......i just recently started to use distilled water to mix the salt.....but after i left it for half a day...i came home and find the container and powerhead i was using had a white film all over........anyone came across this problem?......should i still use the water or mix a new batch?......i realized the powerhead was a little weak...so increased the flow...and see if the film goes away.....please help....i need to change the water in my 10 gallon before i head up to philly for a week......

Adding the pH UP is what caused your cloudiness, its like taking a 2 part calcium and buffering system and pouring a little of each in the same container and it will be cloudy each and every time.

Age your salt by mixing it with a strong pump and run the pump for 24 to 48 hours, then check your parameters before adding anything.

gettanked

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: